Progress Thread And so it begins....

• Thread starter Deleted member 38176
  • Start date
  • Sponsors (?)

FINALLY got the motor back!

Freshly decked, honed, balanced, and painted (going semi-gloss black on everything w/ silver valve covers)
709irr.jpg

Completely built, ported, and matched with new/upgraded valvetrain
zoeqtx.jpg

Nearing completion :banana:

Reactions: 1 user
I love seeing pics like that! I need to get the pics of my build up! It seriously makes me feel like a little kid on Christmas morning! I happy to see it coming along man! Keep us posted! How do u plan on prepping the valve covers? I was going to do mine in silver but instead just used bed liner pain on my blower and valve covers.

I love seeing pics like that! I need to get the pics of my build up! It seriously makes me feel like a little kid on Christmas morning! I happy to see it coming along man! Keep us posted! How do u plan on prepping the valve covers? I was going to do mine in silver but instead just used bed liner pain on my blower and valve covers.

Im going back today after work to take a few more pics, the motor is fully assembled now. I'll also pick up the spec sheet on the heads. My builder told me that they did EVERYTHING to them and that they're the nastiest set of PI heads he'd ever seen, major port work. Im so giddy its ridiculous.

As for the covers, my builder is painting everything so Im not sure how he's doing them. All black motor w/ silver covers and black boost piping/intercooler is going to look sick!

COMPLETE!

I threw in a new high volume oil and water pump for good measure.

so64vp.jpg

Stage 3 port
Comp springs
MMR valve seals
MMR Pro-Ti valves
-MMR bronze guides
Jesel rollers
Manley retainers
5 angle valve job
ve58nr.jpg

302uw45.jpg

FRPP pump and Comp Beehives

hmmm, just saying, you might have some issues... I had compcams 26113-16 Beehives and was floating the valves @ 5300rpm w/ 15lbs of boost (ton of threads on yellowbullet and turbo forums about weak valve springs and boosted engines) . Also the FRPP pump is just the stock DOHC pump, same gears as the one that just came out of your car, just higher volume over the SOHC version. Might want to swap out with MMR or Mellings billet oil pump gears. Save you the pain that everyone making over 500rwhp runs into...

Stock oil pump gears 520ish rwhp... seen many do this
2011-05-21+15.30.37.jpg

and CompCams springs vs trickflows track heat stage 2 springs

trick flow on the left and comp cams on the right
IMG_20121028_111129.jpg

once again, trick flow on the left and compcams on the right.
IMG_20121028_112523.jpg

hmmm, just saying, you might have some issues... I had compcams 26113-16 Beehives and was floating the valves @ 5300rpm w/ 15lbs of boost (ton of threads on yellowbullet and turbo forums about weak valve springs and boosted engines) . Also the FRPP pump is just the stock DOHC pump, same gears as the one that just came out of your car, just higher volume over the SOHC version. Might want to swap out with MMR or Mellings billet oil pump gears. Save you the pain that everyone making over 500rwhp runs into...

Ugh. The machine shop chose the springs. We told them the setup, boost, etc and those are what they put in.....and they know their :poo:. Good thing is that they warrantee their motors and since they chose and installed the springs, they'll cover it if anything goes wrong. The pump was my builders call. I'll talk to him further about it.

Alright just gave him a quick call. He said that he's put FRPP pumps in boosted Mustangs all the time and hasn't heard of any problems. However, he said I could go with a Melling HO for no charge if I wanted. He said the same thing about the springs. He added that they were "high load" springs :shrug:

My bad, thought you were running "Mahle" pistons. Manley are fine. I prefer Wiseco or Diamond pistons. I'd run 10.1:1-10.4:1 compression personally. It's amazing what 1 point in compression can do to the bottom end fun factor of a centri blown car. My last setup was 10.5:1 compression, and I might go up to 10.8:1 on my 347 build I'm starting. Meth with a spot on speed density tune is the best route IMO.
Speed density???? Wow, you just took me back to the late 80's lol. Hows she run? Stock cam or just a SD. friendly cam?

Speed density???? Wow, you just took me back to the late 80's lol. Hows she run? Stock cam or just a SD. friendly cam?

My car drove like a stock car. I had a big stick in it, but changed it up. I specd my own cam to idle with basically no lope. I live right on the freeway in the inner loop in Houston, which is top 5 worst places in the country for traffic. My wife also hated my big cam in my Z06. The cam turned out amazing, and ran great numbers both on the dyno and MPH at the track. 149.2mph was my best in full street trim, no skinnies, stock gearing and 100 pounds of safety gear on 12psi. Cam was a 232/244 on a 118lsa with xer lobes. Here is the difference between my buddies old C6 on a 250 shot and my car with the blower(mines the dirty, was sitting in the shop) before we made highway pulls. Similar cubes, almost exact same cam specs except his LSA was a 112 vs my 118.

View: http://youtu.be/dvPQoO6TPJs

I'd also add that I agree with Tank. I'm not an expert on the oil pumps for mod motors, but don't skimp there. That will destroy a motor quick. Also, comp had a run of bad springs(comp 918's) for the LS cars for a while. Not sure if it translated over to their other springs, but guys were having all types of issues with them for a few years. It appears they corrected the issue.

I'd also add that I agree with Tank. I'm not an expert on the oil pumps for mod motors, but don't skimp there. That will destroy a motor quick. Also, comp had a run of bad springs(comp 918's) for the LS cars for a while. Not sure if it translated over to their other springs, but guys were having all types of issues with them for a few years. It appears they corrected the issue.

Agreed...I don't build any performance modular motor with out at least billet gears, I actually prefer to use the MMR pumps or the billet gear Melling. Its something I'd strongly think about changing while it is still out of the car.

As far as the springs it depends on the can and boost level I've has decent luck with those COMP springs.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2