..And the Saga Continues!!....Please Help!!

rude_life

Mar 30, 2005
Ok for some reason I still have not given up on my car so I am stuck with all of it's problems..Lemme run this scenario by you guys..
Difficult to start, Turn's over pretty slow sometimes...Here's the main thing..My car is cutting out and hesitating at all RPM's..its almost like its got Vtech or something man..Like I shift into second gear and it's got NO BALLS and then all of the suddent at like 2500 RPM the other 4 Cylinders suddenly kick in and it runs smooth for like two seconds until it nearly falls flat on it's face and then Bucks when the power returns, the whole thing from cut-out until bucking back is like 1 1/2 seconds..Its almost like someone is flipping a switch on and off turning my car on and off while Im driving..I am so frustrated, I just replaced my fuel filter 2 weeks ago and the fuel pump was replaced with a BBK pump about 2 yrs ago..New plugs, new cap & rotor, I have 3:73 gears and a K&N intake filtercharger and a Mallory adj. FPR...other than that its pretty stock..ALSO!!!! The Voltage meter is a ford stocky and it is constantly fluctuating..Maybe its the alternator?? Please help!!:bang:

• Sponsors (?)

Our alts have an internal voltage regulator, if your alt is not putting out enough juice to power the car, the battery should. If your battery is doing the majority of the power for the car sooner or later it will fail. I would take both to your local auto parts store and have them checked, it's free and at least you can rule one or the other out.

Also do you know if it's a elec issue? have you checked you fuel pressure? also have you checked for vaccuume leaks? testing is key here. Just keep the 3 rules in mind. Air, Fuel, spark. A code check might give you some answer's too.

It's funny these cars are relativly simple, but the smallest thing can make you want to :bang:

I agree, the voltage regulator shouldn't be fluctuating like that. Definitely get the alternator checked out. As far as starting slow, I had the same exact problem. Turns out my battery had a blown cell and wasn't providing enough amps to the motor to turn it over. I'd try to start 'er, and the engine would slooooowly turn over. The more I tried, the faster the engine would turn over until it started.

A new battery solved that problem. Have your battery tested along with the alternator.

Agreed. Start with codes and check the alt wiring (regulator and power cable). A loose power cable wire will cause fluctuating readings but should not really affect performance. However, if the connection is loose at the PDC, that can cause issues. The PDC connection is also known for corroding.

Otherwise, I'd take a look inside your dizzy cap. Look for metal shavings or signs that the PIP is on the outs. Remember, when the PIP burps, the car cuts out and the fuel pump shuts off for a split second.

Good luck.