Another door question 87-93 vert doors on a T-top?

Cobra912

May 1, 2005
Wish I was anywhere but here
Sorry, another door question.

I need doors badly for my car and I want to paint it next year. I CANNOT find 86 T-Top doors anywhere, let alone a good set of 84-86 doors period. I would buy them if I could find them, cut the frames and transplant the glass, but no luck finding any.

Anyways I went and checked out two doors a guy had for sale. He said they were from an 85. It was quite obvious to me that they are from a 87-93 convertible and have the vert mirrors. I'm not fond of the mirrors.

Anyways - could I swap the glass and internals to these? I guess I'd be stuck with the mirrors.

I bought them both for 30 bucks because they had black door panels. Other than a small tear in one of them and 4 inches of grime on them they look pretty good. Like I say doors are extremely hard to find not completely rusted out here because of the salt they use of the road.

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

not done yet with the switch, and i am going to keep the mirrors.
Picture009-1.jpg

t top car were sent out of the factory with a solid roof and convertible doors to a aftermarket company to convert then to t-tops . cant remember the name of the company. so the doors are the same.

Doors are convertible doors, but the glass is different.

Question is though, there are two different convertible doors. One has the mirror like the hatch cars and the other is the pedestal style on later 88+ convertibles.

Only the 1988 t-top cars came with the later pedestal mirrors, so unsure if oyu would need to find some 81-87 convertible doors

87_3.jpg

gt_1.jpg

thanks for the replies. I have the same ones as the 1988's posted by Mustang5L5. I really lucked out with the black door panels though. It was like finding a pot of gold around here, such parts are extremely hard to come by.

Can anyone post some pics like S&B's set-up? I really need help deciding on these doors!

thanks for the replies. I have the same ones as the 1988's posted by Mustang5L5. I really lucked out with the black door panels though. It was like finding a pot of gold around here, such parts are extremely hard to come by.

Can anyone post some pics like S&B's set-up? I really need help deciding on these doors!

i have an 87 t-top shell and it came with the corner style mirrors i am swapping mine over like the blue car .i picked up some convertible doors with the pedestal sail mirrors as well.i have 2 sets of t-top door glass and they both came off an 88 t-top cars with the pedestal sail mirrors.i don't know if the 87 t-top glass is different from the 88 t-top glass.something to think about

I prefer the pedestal mirrors myself. I wish there was a way to install them on a hatch.

Maybe some Mirror delete plates and then drill and install the pedestal mirrors???

Anyway, we still haven't determined if the t-top glass is the same between the normal style and pedestal side glass. Needless to say 81-early 88 t-tops cars have the same doors as 81-87 convertibles, while late 88 t-tops cars have the 88+ convertible doors, but with different glass. The million dollar question is whether the 88+ convertible doors will accept the 81-87 t-top glass and seal correctly up front where the mirror no longer is on the pedestal doors. That kinda makes me think no.

I prefer the pedestal mirrors myself. I wish there was a way to install them on a hatch.

Maybe some Mirror delete plates and then drill and install the pedestal mirrors???

Anyway, we still haven't determined if the t-top glass is the same between the normal style and pedestal side glass. Needless to say 81-early 88 t-tops cars have the same doors as 81-87 convertibles, while late 88 t-tops cars have the 88+ convertible doors, but with different glass. The million dollar question is whether the 88+ convertible doors will accept the 81-87 t-top glass and seal correctly up front where the mirror no longer is on the pedestal doors. That kinda makes me think no.

my 87 t-top had the doors hollowed out and the glass was pitted from the guy welding a rollcage in and not covering the windows.i would have checked to see if they were the same but i sold them already.they are probably different as well .