Another Ebay post - this one is a question

notny41

Aug 15, 2004
Minnesota
I put in a low-ball bid on a 68 stanger.

The auction was cancelled after a couple days. I sent a question to the seller.

They emailed back saying they are out of the country and had turned the transaction over to ebay itself to sell the car outright at a fixed price, which includes shipping to continental us.

In fact, the seller even said they'd give me my deposit back if I was not satisfied with the car once I saw it and there would be no cost for shipping.

The price is quite low (and attractive I might add).

Now what the seller wants is my full name, address, and zip code and they will give that info to ebay, who will in turn contact me with the amount of the deposit and terms of the transaction.

Should I be leary about giving out this info. It's not like it is my social security number or drivers license or anything.

Has anyone heard of anything like this? I'm thinking it is a scam to get my deposit. The pictures they sent me are of the car but it has two different sets of wheels on it between pictures....

Wierd - I'd love to get the car for the asking price though.

• Sponsors (?)

It's looking more and more like a scam.

The seller hasn't had any feedback and just signed up recently.

I did send a message to ebay - I think I know what they are going to come back with...

notny41 said:
I think so too, but why would they only be asking for my name and address and not bank accounts and such?

If you send your name and address, they will send you a cashiers check saying that it will be for the shipping. It will be vay over written so you will have to cash it, IMMEDIATELY go to Western Union and send the difference to the seller. 10 days later the fake cashiers check will bounce, and you will owe the financial institution the complete sum of the check you cashed.
Do the responses from the seller come in broken english? That is how most are. I've played with a few spammers, have a phony cashiers check for $25,000 I can frame and hang on the wall. Even got one scammer to try and recruit me to scam with him. I took my time, asked a lot of questions, and learned how they work. Good luck.