Another Edelbrock Carb Stumble Question

65fastback2+2

Aug 4, 2003
Louisville, KY
Ok, so my car sat for a 3 weeks and didnt get driven any, just started like every 3 days. before this it ran fine. i get it back, fill it up with new gas and it was fine for a few days, but not it has this stumble at cruise, and theres a clicking when i mash the gas, like the butterflys in the barrels are clicking....i took the air cleaner off, revved it some, it was smelling of gas all this time to, so i backed off the mixture half a turn (its an edelbrock 600cfm). But now I have like no get up and go cuz the butterflys just tick. I looked down in it with the air cleaner off and revved it and it seemed fine, but I dunno what its deal is....it stumbles a little at cruise also

• Sponsors (?)

65fastback2+2 said:
today i did new spark plugs, cleaned carb with carb cleaner, and put a new inline fuel filter in, still does the same freakin thing

Man I feel your pain. I'm running a Demon (Holly) but it stumbles at cruise. It used to do it on the highway; but now, all the time at a specific throttle angle. It's so emabarassing. My car's really, really sweet; so, people always stop and stare, etc. Then, I try to drive it and plugh pluh pluh, sputter, pop......rediculous.

I had a cracked coil before and that will cause problems. I replaced with a std. one from Pep Boys and it cleared things up. Now it's doing it again. I just pulled the top plug off the coil to fild a little oil in there. I think it may be screwed up again. I'll try using a flame thrower or somehting (recently upgraded to Pertronix ignition). I have no idea if a cheap OEM coil may get fried by Pertronix. I don't think so. I'm pretty sure coils only get damaged by bad wiring (bad ground) or vibration. Try that though. The next thing I'd check for would a serious vacuum leak. Then, I'd take it to my engine tuner and just start throwing $100's at him and beg him to make it better.

Argh! :bang:

First I'll say that you should check out this post since it has some links to good information about the Edelbrock carbs. http://forums.stangnet.com/showthre...&highlight=carb

When was the last time you did a cleaning/rebuild on the carb? I'm a little confused by the clicking sound you heard. Did it do it when you had the air cleaner off? I've been messing with these style carbs a while and got pretty good at tuning them, but I never experienced a problem like your having, well not with a clicking noise at the carb. First make sure that none of the linkage on the carb is binding. Then try adjusting your accelerator pump stroke and choke and see if that makes any difference. Is your choke opening? Sometimes the little piston that is under the choke cover gets stuck in its sleeve and that will cause problems. You can easily pull the cap off the choke to see the piston and make sure that it can move freely.

Another thing that happened on my carb was after a quick cleaning with carb cleaner my metering rod got stuck in its shaft. I think it was because I washed away any possible lubricant. You can easily check those for binding by loosening the screws in their covers and seeing if the rod pops it up.

I say pull your carb and give it a really good soaking in some carb cleaner. There is some really dangerous stuff they sell in a bucket at AutoZone that works great for getting all the gunk out of carbs. Anyway, get a rebuild kit and put in your carb. That way you will know for sure that all the passages are cleaned in the carb and it is restored back to normal function.

65fastback2+2 said:
ok, do this. drive your car and when it start the stumbling when you give it gas, immediately turn the engine off and pull over (put it in neutral if need be). take off the air cleaner and twist the throttle linkage and see if any gas comes out of the accelerator pump nozzles.

ok.....when i run it in first its fine til about 4500rpm, then clicks, this only happens like 1 outta 5 times......when i get in second, at about 2500rpm it starts spuddering, then i mash the gas and it goes to like 3500rpm, then sputters and clicks, and it does the same thing in 3rd when you mash the gas.....if it were a valve/head problem i would think the motor woulda already blown up by now.

also....i can run it, turn it off, pull the air cleaner off and move the carb linkage and the carb spits out gas.

one other thing.....the carb was new in August 2004, so I wouldnt think it would need a rebuild already, just my thought

I had a similar problem and it was a wire bad connection to the coil posts. I would take off and it would start sputtering. I put on new connectors and it's been fine ever since. I know it doesn't explain the clicking sounds but it's worth looking into. I've personally never had any problem with an Edelbrock carb.

1967coupe said:
I had a similar problem and it was a wire bad connection to the coil posts. I would take off and it would start sputtering. I put on new connectors and it's been fine ever since. I know it doesn't explain the clicking sounds but it's worth looking into. I've personally never had any problem with an Edelbrock carb.

thats just it, i checked all the wire connections.....guess it could be the petronix coil or the petronix electronic ignition

6Stang7 said:
what is your ignition system set up?

petronix flamethrower coil and petronix ignitor electronic ignition....no ballast wire or ballast so it gets full 12v. Ive got new autolite spark plugs gapped at 37....this is something that keeps progressivly getting worse, at first it was a stumble every now and then, but now, i cant even rev it without it stumbling, as soon as it is almost back to idle it does the miss fire *pub pub pub* sound, even my friend today when i started it up, he knows like nothing about cars and he goes, "man, that just didnt sound right and i can smell the gas."

6Stang7 said:
hmmmm. start the motor and take the air cleaner off. rev it and watch the primary jets. how does it look? have you trimmed back the accel. squirt like jikelly suggested?

i did that the other day and it looks fine.....i dunno how to do the accel squirt....carbs are the only thing besides the transmission ive not yet to deal with

65fastback2+2 said:
i did that the other day and it looks fine.....i dunno how to do the accel squirt....carbs are the only thing besides the transmission ive not yet to deal with
if you look on the top driver side of the carb in the front most part, you should see this plastic piece sticking up that has some linkage attached to it. that is your accl. pump. you can see 3 holes. the one that is at the very bottom will give the biggest squrit and the higher you go, the small that amount. where is yours at?
6Stang7_accelpumplinkage2(small).jpg

6Stang7_accelpumplinkage(small).jpg

this is all i see (looks to be the middle hole).....and the accel squirt wouldnt have just become a problem now after its been fine for 8 months would it?

Attachments

• 100_0187 (Small).jpg
    100_0187 (Small).jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 212
  • 100_0188 (Small).jpg
    100_0188 (Small).jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 210