Another Exhaust Question

94GTLaserRC

Squint as you approach, lest you be blinded by my
15 Year Member
Sorry dudes for the redundancy, but here's the request:

Help me with some exhaust options (actually, just the mufflers)for my current setup of Magnaflow X pipe and FMS Shorties.

I have Flowmasters in the back now....my current sound is very deep and almost quiet to the point whrere nobody believes me that my cats are off.
Im almost positive the mufflers are 3-chamber, because of the lack of noise and the fact that they are 10 years old.

I want a higher pitched raspy sound, but I DONT want obnoxious or heavy droning.

What (again) are some options to look into for the mufflers only? Since my current ones are welded on, I guess I can just have them cut off and new ones rewelded. :shrug:

Any links and/or prices will be appreciated.

Again sorry for the redundancy, and THANKS!!

RC

• Sponsors (?)

I'm kind of in the same situation. I have no cats either .... but I think I should have more volume. It does sound decent at idle (nice and deep). My Flow's were welded in by the P.O. as well .... AND I don't know if they're 40's .... 2 chamber .... 3 chamber ... or what. I just know it's not enough. I've been thinking about the SLP's, but I don't know if that would be TOO loud or not.

The website is in my sig....it should really be a sticky. It puts all other exhaust sites to shame.

I would say it depends on what exactly u mean by higher pitched raspy. Would you not want the flows note...just louder? I like spintechs cause they rumble down low and scream at WOT. With that x-pipe it will probably be the rasp u are looking for. I would get the sportsmans if i were you...prostreets might be a little too wild for ya.

My vote is for Spintech sportmans:nice:

VibrantRedGT said:
If you want more rumble then get chambered muffs. The straight through ones will be even quieter (UltraFlo, Magnaflo, etc.). Spintech, MAC, Flowmaster 2 chamber will be much louder. There is someone on here with sound clips. DonJon?
Joe, since you listed so many mufflers above, which ones are you referring to as "chambered"?

I may be calling you about this.

You have heard my car and you know what Im referring to.

I know you hear when some cars drive by, you just KNOW it's a stang. :nice: However, the sound Im referring to I mostly hear on the 4.6's. Im wondering if that's a unique sound to those engines.

Part of my problem too is that since I have an AODE, I cant rev as Im idling though the parking lot with my foot on the clutch.

DECISIONS DECISIONS :bang:

RC

I do the shorties, x, and two chambered flows. It's definately raspier. I guess if this makes sense, compared to my buddies 91 fox (the same guy that drilled the TB) who has the O/R H pipe...

His does more of a glug glug glug sound compared to mine which sounds like a glig glig glig. Mine's more metallic.

I think mine sounds WAY better when I get on it, at around 4200 it goes into NASCAR high pitched mode and sounds awesome. But a lot of guys on here have something against the shorties, x pipe, and flow combo.

But I will say this... Gunny over at hardcore5.0 once described it as: "the sweatest thing I've ever heard at any RPM."

Adam

Black95GTS said:
I think mine sounds WAY better when I get on it, at around 4200 it goes into NASCAR high pitched mode and sounds awesome. But a lot of guys on here have something against the shorties, x pipe, and flow combo.

But I will say this... Gunny over at hardcore5.0 once described it as: "the sweatest thing I've ever heard at any RPM."

Adam

I hear ya on the 4200 = nascar sound. My long tubes, d-pipe, and sportsmans do that. But the thing i love is at idle it really rumbles like its an h-pipe...best of both worlds IMO. With x-pipes, i have heard sportsmans sound even raspier. But i havent heard them in person...just judging off clips which arent very accurate.

And the one thing i have noticed is it depends on which x-pipe you put with flows....not all x's are created equal.

I say my top 3 would be Spintech, bassani, then flows....and flows only last cause they are so damn popular and the other 2 have more of a unique sound. I wish i could do it "JR Style" and buy the 3 sets of mufflers and swap them out whenever i wanted. Hmmmmm...thats not a bad idea

I forgot about Bassani RC, there is the clip of that white GT/cobra on Chris(donjohn)'s site in my sig. with the bassani setup. Sounds incredible :drool:

VibrantRedGT said:
The chambered ones I'm referring to are Flowmaster, Spintech, MAC....They tend to make more of rumble vs. the straight through design.
He said he wants no drone. We can all rule out Mac And flowmaster for him then.
Spintech Prostreets are what you should get. IMO, they are the only muffler that sound good behind an x pipe or h pipe, or my prochamber for that matter. Other chambered mufflers sound silly behind x pipes.
Spintech has a clip of an x pipe and their prostreets on a badass fox on their site... check it
http://spintechmufflers.com/spintech/spintechindex.asp

Rc, go to the other exhaust thread i have been replying in, i have two vids of my mac setup with and the X pipe, i like it, raspy sound IMO....kinda loud too....

Spintechs aren't chambered if i remember correctly.... they are just a bunch of special spirals welded in line of the exhaust flow.... IIRC

jason

red ink said:
He said he wants no drone. We can all rule out Mac And flowmaster for him then. .... http://spintechmufflers.com/spintech/spintechindex.asp
Actually, after talking to Joe today, I may just go ahead with the Mac's.

NO drone is going to be impossible no matter what, and since my car is not longer my DD, I little noise is ok...just not obnoxious.

Jason...which thread are you referring to?
RC

94GTLaserRC said:
Joe, since you listed so many mufflers above, which ones are you referring to as "chambered"?

I may be calling you about this.

You have heard my car and you know what Im referring to.

I know you hear when some cars drive by, you just KNOW it's a stang. :nice: However, the sound Im referring to I mostly hear on the 4.6's. Im wondering if that's a unique sound to those engines.

Part of my problem too is that since I have an AODE, I cant rev as Im idling though the parking lot with my foot on the clutch.

DECISIONS DECISIONS :bang:

RC
i think i know the sound you are talking about... does it almost sound kind of hollow and raspy from a distance, but you KNOW its a stang? in my opinion, if you're looking for the classic exotic 4.6 sound, i would suggest catless x pipe with orginal 40 series flows, or catless x pipe with mac flowpaths, but thats assuming its on a 4.6... getting that from a 5.0 i would say maybe slp loudmouth with catless x pipe might get you closer to that sound... someone on svtperformance.com posted cammed 5.0 sound clips, and theres a fox with this setup in a thread... it sounds awesome, but maybe a little too loud for me