Another Exhaust Question

• Sponsors (?)

The general word around here is that performance will get worse for a naturally aspirated V6 if you go to a dual exhaust, especially in the low end range. Basically the engine doesn't push enough air to take advantage of the increased volume and it ends up hurting performance.

I google'd 'exhaust scavenging volume' and found the following link http://www.bigcitythunder.com/pages/understanding_exhaust.pdf. It looks (I only briefly scanned it) like a pretty good read for some better understanding of what your exhaust can do for you.

Hope that helps

The general word around here is that performance will get worse for a naturally aspirated V6 if you go to a dual exhaust, especially in the low end range. Basically the engine doesn't push enough air to take advantage of the increased volume and it ends up hurting performance.

I google'd 'exhaust scavenging volume' and found the following link http://www.bigcitythunder.com/pages/understanding_exhaust.pdf. It looks (I only briefly scanned it) like a pretty good read for some better understanding of what your exhaust can do for you.

Hope that helps

Key points from this article:

It is true that some engines are mechanically tuned to "X" amount of backpressure and can show a loss of low-end torque when that backpressure is reduced. It is also true that the same engine that lost low-end torque with reduced back-pressure can be mechanically re-tuned to show an increase of low-end torque with the same reduction of back-pressure.

More importantly, maximum mid-to-high RPM power will be achieved with the lowest possible backpressure. Period!

Also:
Assuming that an exhaust system is otherwise properly designed, equal length pipes offer some benefits that are not present with unequal length pipes. These benefits are smoother engine operation, tuning simplicity and increased low-to-mid range torque.

As for scavenging, MOST companies offer "X" pipes for the V6.

Including Ford Racing.

These pipes have been designed by engineers, who know how to design for best performance, so I will give them the nod as to which way to go.

My pony has an "X".

Dual exhaust, T-LOK, brand new tires, and NO TUNE yet:
http://media.putfile.com/SOHCman-Pypes-Acceleration

:nice:

SOHC

PS: Can't wait for my tuner...

What would be cheaper about a shop custom-bending pipes?

Why would you want an uneven, fit-by-eye set of pipes?

Those days are long gone...

Half the shops people talk about on the boards won't even put duals on a V6, even from a kit, WTF?

I had a shop give me a "I don't know how long it will take" estimate... "Maybe 2 hours maybe 4."

This was the Pypes kit that goes together with CLAMPS.

No cutting pipe stock, no bending pipes to fit over axles, no welding...

That does not instill ANY confidence in these shops anymore.

My Ford dealer does my work no questions asked... "Ya about 2 hours"...

Done.

SOHC

Duals don't hurt me at all. Although I would say keep the single unless you like the looks. I have Mac long tubes, off road pipes, Mac prochamber and moroso spiral flow mufflers, I run 14.10's, so they are helping. I started with JBA true duals, then added MAC shorties, then took the cats off, then the current system. The true duals sounded fine and I liked the looks, but they weigh more because there are now two mufflers and pipes.
No power loss on my part with a big exhaust, but I have probally pushed my car harder then most.

Thanks for the help guys,
I will probably go with a dual exhaust and x-pipe from basanni after listening to all the clips out there. That article was pretty helpful and if I am going for performance in the long term, i.e. supercharger/turbo then it would seem wise to spend a few more bucks for the most open exhasut possible.