Another "I'm selling the 'Stang" thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkwriter77

Resident Ranting Negative Nancy
5 Year Member
Jul 1, 2005
Apache Junction, AZ
Sorry, guys, but I'm succumbing to the need to sell the notch ... and thereby halfway breaking one of my New Year's resolutions, already. (I promised not to switch cars this year ... but I'm actually only getting rid of one and just keeping the other.) Times are hard and money's tight - you know, the same ol' story as everyone - and the 'Stang turns out to not be the more practical choice against my '90 Town Car. But at least I'll still TECHNICALLY be driving a Ford 5.0L - a lo-po version, yes, but I hope to get around to throwing on an HO conversion at some point - and I'll still be lingering around here to offer my bits of aid and such. The old '89 is just too much of a handful to rely upon as a DD in my case, because it's so friggin' beat-up and needs so much constant attention because of its use/abuse that I don't have the time/money to deal with it; the '90 Town Car is almost equally used, but in better overall shape, needs less attention, and is a heckuva lot easier to drive in bumper-to-bumper traffic. Plus, I need the leftover money from the sale of the notch to pay off school loans and fix a couple of issues on the Lincoln (power steering pump and rear window regulators).

So, here's the inevitable and often-asked question: How much d'y'all think my car's worth?

Kelly Blue book says it's worth a whopping $900, and the private party listing goes for something like $1900 at best ... but I've seen cars like mine with equal miles, fewer mods, and not being notches going for around $2500. It's one of those things where the REAL market going rate is way different than the "official" going rate, y'know?

FWIW, I bought the thing for $2000 back in May of '05, and it was a steaming pile of poo that I've brought back from the dead. I've got around $3000 worth of receipts for repairs, mods, and tires in the thing - ALL in parts, none for labor, since I've done all my own stuff (aside from tire install, of course). Just about perfect mechnically, only needs cosmetic crap - a decent paintjob and a couple of minor dents filled, that's it - and maybe a heater core/heater pipe install, if anyone's so inclined. Car's been in Arizona its whole life, so not a spot of rust anywhere, and the Carfax and title is clean.

Would calling it $3000 firm be hoping for too much? I know I'm gonna be taking a huge loss on the deal, and I HATE to sell the thing (I'll always be striving to snap up another Mustang in the future), but selling it for less than that would seem almost pointless, really. Any suggestions?

• Sponsors (?)

If you enjoy having the car so much but money is tight, but not tight enough where you need to sell it why not just stop driving it for awhile and just let it sit? If I was ever in need of extra $$$ the last thing I would think of would be selling the car. Dont know about your situation, but for me being a electrican I can do afew things here and there on the side when I need the extra money.

Well, drawing blood from people outside of a hospital for fun is probably illegal in at least 49 states, so that idea's out. :D

Part of it is that the Lincoln WAS my car before I sold it to my ex, she's moving out of the country now and is putting it up for sale, and I can buy it back from her for cheaper than I sold it. It doesn't need a lot of work (aside from the PS pump and window regulator issues, pretty minor crap), and I can use the leftover money to pay off my school loans and give me some more breathing room for when I wind up with all of the other monthly bills all to myself, soon. Basically, unless I knock down the school loans ASAP and start hacking on the credit card, I'm only looking at having about $90 a month left after all the basic bills and gasoline costs ... and that's not including grocery expenses. I can't afford to care and feed for two cars on that kind of an income, and the insurance on two cars isn't as easy to swing here as it was back in the Midwest (literally costs double here what it did in KC). So, no matter what, the notch must be sold. Again, I hate to do it, but I gotta choose the practical car over the fun one. :(

I'm almost half-tempted to just put it at $2500 firm (Cash only), grit my teeth, and take the loss, but I really think I'd be selling it a bit short. Retail value of it goes for $3000, and private party value is a tad above $1900 ... and neither of those factor performance mods into the cost at all. (I figure the mods listed in my sig should make it worth at least a couple of hundred more than a bone-stocker, no?) So ... $3000 good? ... or higher?

Umm ... add $200 and I might give it some thought. :)

Is $3000 really too high, honestly? I see some steaming turds 'round here going for $2000 (which is how mine looked/ran when I first bought it for that price), and I know my notch is far from perfect, but it's better than the average ratted-out Fox. And doesn't the fact that it IS a notch affect its value in any way, being that they're so sought after by most?

Nope. The Town Car gets EXACTLY the same mileage as my notch - but that's 3.08 gears on the Lincoln versus 4.10's on the 'Stang. I average 21 mpg highway in the notch and 16 with lots of traffic, exactly the same as the Lincoln. No mileage is a non-issue. It's the Lincoln's fuel capacity that's an advantage - 18 gallon tank instead of 13, which means I can go an extra day or two without having to refill. (As it is, I have to refuel every two days. Gets annoying as heck.)

Also, driving a T-5 with a King Cobra clutch in bumper-to-bumper traffic on the Loop 202 SUCKS beyond suckiness. Having to crank the stereo all the way up just to even hear the words over the engine and road noise sucks ... and then when you can hear it, you realize the CD player skips on every other mild bump because the notch rides so damned stiff. (Eibach springs are probably why.) I barely have enough trunk space for groceries, but taking a road trip to/from the Midwest for the WFC? Fuhgeddaboudit. I wouldn't have anywhere to stow anything I buy while I'm there, like if I wanna pick up a set of wheels or seats or whatever and bring it home. That, and like I said, the 'Stang just needs too much attention on the average for maintenance and whatnot, whereas the Lincoln just flat out refuses to die.

I've spent the past few months trying to come to a decision on the matter (ever since my ex became my ex), and my final decision is the 'Stang has got to go, period. The only thing I can't figure is what kind of price I should be shooting for with it. Again, Blue Book value really doesn't mean squat with these kinds of cars when it comes to private party sales. I just don't wanna wind up lowballing myself by setting the price too low, because a large part of the reason I'm ditching it is for the money ($1500 of which will go towards buying back the Town Car and about $300 in fix-it parts, so I need everything beyond that $1800 that I can get to combine with my tax return to kill my student loan debt).

So ... $3000. Is it too high, too low, or about right?

Nope. The Town Car gets EXACTLY the same mileage as my notch - but that's 3.08 gears on the Lincoln versus 4.10's on the 'Stang. I average 21 mpg highway in the notch and 16 with lots of traffic, exactly the same as the Lincoln. No mileage is a non-issue. It's the Lincoln's fuel capacity that's an advantage - 18 gallon tank instead of 13, which means I can go an extra day or two without having to refill. (As it is, I have to refuel every two days. Gets annoying as heck.)

Also, driving a T-5 with a King Cobra clutch in bumper-to-bumper traffic on the Loop 202 SUCKS beyond suckiness. Having to crank the stereo all the way up just to even hear the words over the engine and road noise sucks ... and then when you can hear it, you realize the CD player skips on every other mild bump because the notch rides so damned stiff. (Eibach springs are probably why.) I barely have enough trunk space for groceries, but taking a road trip to/from the Midwest for the WFC? Fuhgeddaboudit. I wouldn't have anywhere to stow anything I buy while I'm there, like if I wanna pick up a set of wheels or seats or whatever and bring it home. That, and like I said, the 'Stang just needs too much attention on the average for maintenance and whatnot, whereas the Lincoln just flat out refuses to die.

I've spent the past few months trying to come to a decision on the matter (ever since my ex became my ex), and my final decision is the 'Stang has got to go, period. The only thing I can't figure is what kind of price I should be shooting for with it. Again, Blue Book value really doesn't mean squat with these kinds of cars when it comes to private party sales. I just don't wanna wind up lowballing myself by setting the price too low, because a large part of the reason I'm ditching it is for the money ($1500 of which will go towards buying back the Town Car and about $300 in fix-it parts, so I need everything beyond that $1800 that I can get to combine with my tax return to kill my student loan debt).

So ... $3000. Is it too high, too low, or about right?

i thought our cars had a 15.7 gallon tank

PM me with a regular e-mail address for all the pics you need. I can only host so many on the site here before my attachment folder thingy gets full. I'll post a few additional ones on my Myspace page, but if you need any specific shots, just ask and I can snap fresh ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.