95Stangpa

Apr 4, 2017
Pa.
My CEL was on when I bought it.
But the car runs perfect.
1995 3.8 Auto.
I believe 8/94 is my cars birthdate.
Code...P0340 cam sensor.
Now here is where I get anxious over this.
I have a pulley chirping...or do I ???
I read up on the cam sensor and it led me onto the cam synchronizer underneath it. It was somewhere on here while searching around.
Says it causes a belt or pulley type sound. And can blow the engine if it fails?
I'm going to remove the cam sensor tomorrow. I am actually concerned if my cam synchronizer is bad, if I'm capable of doing that job. Said some things about if put in wrong, same result. Engine failure. Ugh!!

• Sponsors (?)

Okay I removed my cam sensor. Here's some photos.
I don't know how to tell if my cam synchronizer is bad or not. I do hear a whining but it could be one of my pulleys. But here's some photos of the synchronizer inside.
I'm completely confused with this part I don't want to ruin my engine.
Can anybody advise me if it's just my cam positioning sensor, for the po340.
Or is there something that looks strange on my cam synchronizer?
I'll keep checking my phone I'm in my garage thank you

Attachments

• 20170415_115603.jpg
    20170415_115603.jpg
    641.8 KB · Views: 132
  • 20170415_115542.jpg
    20170415_115542.jpg
    540.6 KB · Views: 126
  • 20170415_115531.jpg
    20170415_115531.jpg
    636.8 KB · Views: 117
It's fixed. The cam synchronizer seemed fine. Replaced the cam sensor. Light stayed out after about 10 mile. Muse be okay.
Yeah noise whiney pump.
I removed the belt, no noise when running then.
But I have a chirpy bird effect when the belts on. I think it is the pwr steering.
The pump doesn't look fun to change. I think the pulley is pressed on bt the bolts are behind the pulley.
They don't come with a new pulley.

It's fixed. The cam synchronizer seemed fine. Replaced the cam sensor. Light stayed out after about 10 mile. Must be okay.
Yeah noise whiney pump.
I removed the belt, no noise when running then.
But I have a chirpy bird effect when the belts on. I think it is the pwr steering.
The pump doesn't look fun to change. I think the pulley is pressed on but the bolts are behind the pulley.
They don't come with a new pulley.

I should replace the belt. It seems kinda Shiney and hard. But when I spun the pwr steering pulley it made a squeaky sound. Will replace belt though for sure. That would be nice if it fixed the noise!

This may sound stupid. But does the pulley get removed before the pump is able to be removed from the engine compartment? I wasnt sure if the assembly came out with the brackets still attached.
I will try a flush first with a Lucas additive..Not sure if that will help.
Is,that just any type of tranny fluid for the flush? Wasn't sure if Dexron3/Mercon is okay?

Last edited:
I guess they make a tool that squeezes in between the rad and motor to pull the pulley off then?.
And hopefully press it back on while it's on the engine?
I did replace the belt today and the chirping stopped go figure.
I flushed the power steering out and put the Lucas in it, and some type F fluid.
It seemed to quiet a little bit, and my friend was standing there and said that's a normal whining noise now. Whatever that meant. LOL

Yes, power steering removal and installation tool. I don't recall how easily it squeezes between the motor and radiator, last time I had mine out the radiator was out too. But I think it does. Definitely resist the urge to damage the pulley to get it off (use the proper tool) -- they're next to impossible to find. Destroy the pump if you must, but save the pulley!

I'm going to see what the tool looks like. And I'll be able to tell if it fits in there.
There's so many different pullers for stuff. I guess it also must be able to press it back in also?

It's going to look something like this: http://www.autozone.com/test-scan-a..._0_0?fromString=search&make=Ford&model=&year=

The puller is the center piece - it clamps around the pulley's hub and then presses on the shaft as you tighten it.
The installer is the left piece - it threads into the center of the shaft and pushes the pulley on as you tighten it. You can actually just use a properly sized bolt and some washers for that part if you wanted.