Another rear end noise

redV62000

Jan 10, 2007
For some time now, I have noticed a PLUUUUUUR sound in the rear of my car. It is more on or to the driver's side. It isn't as noticeable in Neutral as in Drive (automatic trans). Thought it could be several things such as exhaust ( single Flowmaster Delta 40), tire noise, u-joint, rear end. But now I have confused myself on just what it might be. I have even checked the rear brakes.And now I am throwing my hands up...anybody got a clue ?:shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

Yes all is stock...also running at 65mph or greater and suddenly let off the accelerator .....I get a terrible roar...but as soon as you get back on the throttle the roar goes away and PLUUUUUURR comes back.Also when you put the car in gear and just let it go on its own ( no throttle) you can hear a rubbing / scrapping sound...then once on the throttle PLUUUUUUURRR.

I would get it in the air then so you can run it in gear while looking at it. Make sure the front tires are chalked though. Check for bearing play at the wheels & exhust or tires rubbing. Also take a long screwdriver and put the handle to your ear with the point on the diff cover (while it's running) and listen for the noise. If it's in the rear end it will be louder then. Make sure you check the u-joint too for slop.

DON'T use a jack to hold it up. I don't want your familiy pissed at me for you getting squished OK.