Another reason to love my Stang

I read an article in the paper the other day concerning more veihcles than ever needing peremium grade fuel to run right. It didn't it me until after reading the article how much money I save in the cost of fuel with my Stang. This points to an obvious advantage a V8 engine as over any 6 or 4 cylinder engine.

As it stands I am pushing just over 320hp (not 320rwhp:( ) and I'm still using 87 octane. I can't think of any 6 or 4 cylinder engine that could even push 260hp without going to premium grade, 93 octane in tis area.........thus another reason to love my Stang.:D

• Sponsors (?)

I know... I love how people berate the stang for making too little power compared to these high strung imports. I just tell them I can fill up on 87, can you? It costs them a lot more annually to to make the same power.

I can't fill up on 87...........are you guys scanning your cars to make sure they don't KR on 87? I won't put gas in my car that causes it to knock.

You seem to have some light mods and a custom tune, so obviously you may benefit from a higher octane. But, right from the factory it says to run 87, so I don't know why people would waste their money on anything else if they are stock.

However, I do wonder if Ford pushed the envelope a little too much on the new Stangs. I hear a lot more talk about knocking with these motors than I ever remember with previous Mustangs. I questions whether mine does from time to time, especially when it is cold.

You seem to have some light mods and a custom tune, so obviously you may benefit from a higher octane. But, right from the factory it says to run 87, so I don't know why people would waste their money on anything else if they are stock.

However, I do wonder if Ford pushed the envelope a little too much on the new Stangs. I hear a lot more talk about knocking with these motors than I ever remember with previous Mustangs. I questions whether mine does from time to time, especially when it is cold.

It knocked from day 1 with 87 octane, and that's before mods. It's just not that loud of a knock, but it showed up as KR on the scanner.

I guess I'm not too familiar with using a scan tool to detect KR. Can you elaborate a little on how that is done, what's used, etc.?

I use HPTuners, which is a full function tuning software. I am able to scan any parameter int he car and record it in logs to aid with tuning.

On 87 octane you are looking at about 3* of Knock. It's not "bad" in the sense that it will blow your motor, but it will wear it out faster if you are knocking. The higher the * of knock the more harmful. And once the * exceeds the maximum allowed retard rate (~8*) you will backfire and cause immediate damage.

You can also scan with the Handheld tuners, though I don't know if they record in graphs like mine does.

Never used anything but regular. Car runs great, no knocking. So much power it sometimes scares me.

The cars are fast for sure. I haven't had a scare in the Mustang yet. I came from a Pontaic GTO with heads and all boltons and tune though, so my idea of scary is flooring it and having the car go squirrly on you to the point that you would need to clear the road. *Damn independent rear end!* I felt like the mustang was a Ford Taurus when I first bought it because I was missing about 150rwhp that I was used to.

Knocking stopped once I went with the 87 occtane and 89 octane fuel "shuffle" on fill-ups....(I have to keep a piece of paper to remind me if I filled it up with 87 or 89 the last time...heheheheehehehehe)...but no more knocking on accelerations...

There is *supposed* to be knock retard with 87 octane; it has knock sensors and adaptive timing to tune right up to the knock threshold of the fuel you're using. If you aren't hearing it, don't worry about knock retard.

If you are talking about fuel economy, which you seem to be, there is no advantage V8s have over a V6.

Sixers get better fuel economy straight up. I don't see how you can argue the other way.

If you are comparing the fuel economy/power ratio, then yes I see your point.

I believe he was referring to some newer V6's that make roughly the same power we do. They require premium fuel with only marginally better fuel economy. They also lack ~50 ft-lbs in the midrange. Consider the G35 with it's 306hp V6 engine; only 268 ft-lbs (vs 320), 17/24 fuel economy vs 15/23, both with 5 speed auto.

Currently premium gas + V6 is about equal cost to regular gas + V8.

Tom