Antenna: Powered or not??? Why not upgrade this area?

Is the 2005 antenna (for the radio) powered or not? Either way, why does Ford insist on using "visible" antennas. The technology has been out for a while to remove them completely and instead, have the antenna built into the rear glass.

I have a 2002 RSX and one of the neatest features that makes it look extra clean is the lack of a visible antenna. That antenna will not break, get loose, get stolen, become annoying to look at, etc. I don't even know exactly where it's at, but the manual tells me it is located in the rear glass. Radio reception is better than my current stang and I didn't pay gobs of extra money on a fancy luxury car to get such a logical feature. Lots of other newer cars have the invisible antenna feature, too.

I know, I know, who cares about the antenna, but come on, it is the little things that can make a big difference. In terms of a cleaner look, what a simple change that would make all new stangers take notice. Who wouldn't praise Ford a little for a change to an invisible radio antenna?

I'm not complaining so much as I am a bit confused to see it on the 2005 GT and V6. :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

Car Nut said:
Is the 2005 antenna (for the radio) powered or not? Either way, why does Ford insist on using "visible" antennas. The technology has been out for a while to remove them completely and instead, have the antenna built into the rear glass.

How exactly do you put a hidden antenna in the rear glass of a convertable?

I would like to see (or should I say not see) an invisible antenna too, but I imagine its one of many things that wound up on the cutting room floor when Phil Martens arrived and he decided to keep costs down. I'd guess that putting a hidden antenna in the windshield is more expensive.

I do not believe the antenna is powered, just that Ford removes them on the show cars. Can anyone who's seen the 2005 in the flesh confirm the antenna.

I hardly ever notice my antennae. So I wouldn't want to pay $.00001 for it. With the satellite stereo reception should be great. And I don't think that many people pay attention to the antennae on their stangs.

351CJ said:
How exactly do you put a hidden antenna in the rear glass of a convertable?

Earlier this year at the country club I work at someone put a golf ball through the rear window of an Audi in the parking lot. I took care of the owner of the car, getting her a new piece of glass installed and everything. That A4 had the built in antenna in the rear glass. It kinda runs down one of the sides, you can't really see it unless it's removed or smashed like this one was.

I tell you what bugs me is the stupid cheap plastic mirrors. Why on earth can't they just paint them body colored? The new Cobras have them. I'd like to sand mine down and get them painted.

-Chris

I guess the antenna isn't that big of a deal, but I did notice (correct me if I'm wrong) that Ford included the "one-touch up/down" feature on the driver's side window.

Painted mirrors would be nice. It just seems that some "old-tech" stuff would disappear due to the "new-tech" stuff that comes standard in a lot of vehicles. I guess every car has some shortcomings, though, due to the manufacturer's attempt to keep costs down.

Thanks for the replies.

GelatiCruiser said:
Keep in mind we're talking about the same car that has the (antiquated) push/pull headlight knob.

why is it antiquated? serious question. i know they're not used anymore, but why not? they seem to be practical, and i doubt the cost is different than a more contemporary switch. i always saw it as a retro touch rather than old tech or outdated ergonomics.