Antenna replacement

TheSaltySenor

Aug 3, 2017
Hello all!

I had my antenna snap off a few months ago and finally getting around to replacing it. I have a 2014 Mustang GT. What is it called (the part where the antenna attaches to the car) and where can I find it? Pictures to show what I mean.
20180802_195646.jpg
20180802_195649.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

TheSaltySenor,

The piece you need is the "mast". You need to remove the stub that is still in the threaded section. If you are mechanically inclined, you can get an "easy out" - it is a kit that has a drill and a tap which you use to extract the stub.

Tousley Ford (AutoNation Ford White Bear Lake) and Tasca (TascaParts.com) have on-line parts catalogs. So does Rock Auto. Or you can go to your local Ford dealer Parts counter. Always ask for a "family discount" if you bring your car in for service.

HTH,

Chris

TheSaltySenor,

The piece you need is the "mast". You need to remove the stub that is still in the threaded section. If you are mechanically inclined, you can get an "easy out" - it is a kit that has a drill and a tap which you use to extract the stub.

Tousley Ford (AutoNation Ford White Bear Lake) and Tasca (TascaParts.com) have on-line parts catalogs. So does Rock Auto. Or you can go to your local Ford dealer Parts counter. Always ask for a "family discount" if you bring your car in for service.

HTH,

Chris
Thanks Chris! So far all I've been able to find is the antenna not the mast as far as a replacement. So hopefully those places you directed me to will help. I called one of the Ford dealers in town and they estimated the replacement at $384. That's ordering and the labor. So I'm going to attempt to replace it myself, note no mechanical experience.

Howdy Salty,

Here's a link to the $15 mast: "Tasca - antenna mast"

On the same page you'll see the antenna base (the part inside the fender) part and it is less than $50.

I don't know how the dealer can come up with $384 but it sounds a little on the high side. For a very conservative estimate, I can't come up with anythnig north of $300. Say, $75 in parts and 2 hours of labour ($100/hr shop time) = $275. Looks like there's some savings to be had....

Depending on where you live, a reputable machine shop could extract the stub pretty quickly. They are used to removing broken fasteners from engine blocks, machines, you name it. If you want to try your hand at the job, then I think you can do it. YouTube has videos of "broken bolt extraction" work and it will give you a good idea about tackling the job or not. Got a buddy who's handy with tools (and really, really careful around Mustang paint)? A couple of beers and lunch should be fair compensation for any wrench head.

HTH,

Chris

Salty,

You're welcome, amigo. :D Please post an update so all interested readers will be able to rest easy, lol. You can get a Stubby antenna (mast) from Craven Speed, if you want to try a shorter mast. The only disadvantage is that FM and AM reception is a little worse once you leave the city (where the signals originate). But the Stubby works very well in urban areas in my experience (got Stubby's on both vehicles) and the short mast is not harmed by car washes if you take your vehicie thorugh the car wash. I put a Stubby on just for aesthetics (not for car washes since I only hand wash our cars - such a snob, lol) and I usually have SiriusXM lined up anyway.

GL with the antenna work!

Chris