Any differences between '88 Crown Vic and Mustang GT 5.0 Blocks?

Realmongo

I prefer to be called "Evil Genius"
Founding Member
Oct 10, 2001
Western Mass
I need a new block and crank for my GT. Our local pick and pull has the shortblock from a running 1988 Crown Vic. Is the block, crank, and rods all the same? The pistons and camshaft will be new after the rebuild.

• Sponsors (?)

Realmongo said:
I need a new block and crank for my GT. Our local pick and pull has the shortblock from a running 1988 Crown Vic. Is the block, crank, and rods all the same? The pistons and camshaft will be new after the rebuild.
The main difference in the short block will be that the HO engine has a roller cam. You can reuse the roller cam & roller tappets from your old engine if it didn't die from a horrible metal particles in the oil death.

jrichker said:
The main difference in the short block will be that the HO engine has a roller cam. You can reuse the roller cam & roller tappets from your old engine if it didn't die from a horrible metal particles in the oil death.

Ford started installing roller cams in 5.0L base car engines in 1986,so this 88` Crown Vic would have a roller cam,but it`s a lame grind compared to the HO cam.

I pulled my 5.0 out yesterday afternoon and hope to have it torn down the rest of the way on Friday or Saturday so I can figure out where all the bearing material in the oil drain pan came from. I know that the big cars had cast pistons and dinky camshafts, but I was not sure if they used the same block and crank casting as the Mustangs.

I will have to post pics when I find the damage.