any fitment problems with 17x10 4 lug 10th anniversary wheels on 89GT?

I am replacing my turbines with 10th anniversary wheels. 17x9 up front and am thinking about 17x10 in the back. I have the stock suspension with flipped quad shocks. I currently run 275/50's in the back. I plan to use 255/40 in the front and 275/40 in the back. I will not roll the lip on the fenders, so if the 17x10s will not fit I will have to go with 17x9 all around.

Anyone have issues with the 17x10's?

Thanks
Ray Nist

• Sponsors (?)

i don't think your quad shocks will clear. you are better off running a 9" wheel with a 275. will make your life much easier.

i hammered my inner wells a bit, my fenders are severely rolled, and i have a panhard bar to center my axle perfectly. my car has almost no fender gap, but i clear 285's with some precision adjustments..

add quad shocks, no panhard bar, along with other variables and your gonna regret it.

The 275's are going to look really stretched on a set of 17x10's. If you're going to have to start hammering anyway, go with the 17x10.5's out back with a pair of 315's. They'll fit the 10.5" rim like a glove. Likewise with the 275's up front on the 9" wheel.

Some pics I found of Jonathan from LRS's car while searching for these exact wheels....

View attachment 179089

View attachment 179091

View attachment 179093

View attachment 179095

View attachment 179096

View attachment 179098

View attachment 179100

Here's what appears to be a 275 on a 9" wheel on the left, compared to the 315 on the 10.5" wheel on the right.

View attachment 179101

if you have that much fender gap, you might get by also..

i have a torque arm which articulates completely different also i forgot about. regardless, to run a 315 it will take more changes then you seem to be willing.

those tails are gettin ordered tomorrow for my car. thanks, another $100+ out the door :rolleyes:

Running a 10.5" rear with a 315 on the rear of a fox just about requires a panhard bar to keep the tire from rubbing the inner wheel well on turns. Mu "normal" setup is 17x9 with 275/40 all the way around. Still requires playing with ride height & rack limiters to completely rid yourself of rubbing on bumps, braking, & turns. Looks pretty darn mean though!

Now, on the 4 lug anniversary style wheels, the rear wheels are a 10, not a 10.5 & a 275 actually is a perfect fit on them. Removal of the quad shocks is required & some "massaging" of the inner rear wheel well is required.

I'm hoping they fit because I ordered the same wheel! I receive them today. I'm hoping that I don't have to do anything. I'm going to be looking at running B springs. I'm going to check clearance without tires but won't have tires for a couple of weeks.

Now, on the 4 lug anniversary style wheels, the rear wheels are a 10, not a 10.5 & a 275 actually is a perfect fit on them.

From what I've seen, the 275's are hit and miss on a 10" wheel depending on who makes the tire. Some companies that make their tires with a wider section width like BFGoodrich don't fit bad, but others like say Nitto, or Michelin look pretty stretched out. 275’s do however fit like a glove on 9” wheels (’03-’04 Cobra as an example), but will almost certainly rub under hard lock in the front end. In any case, you can pretty much forget any sort of lowering spring with anything that wide out front.

jon, what exact year lenses did you use on your car? i want them for my 93 notch, i'm goin to order them through you guys.

ps, you do any stangnet discount codes? i have never asked with my orders. :shrug:

Running a 10.5" rear with a 315 on the rear of a fox just about requires a panhard bar to keep the tire from rubbing the inner wheel well on turns. Mu "normal" setup is 17x9 with 275/40 all the way around. Still requires playing with ride height & rack limiters to completely rid yourself of rubbing on bumps, braking, & turns. Looks pretty darn mean though!

Now, on the 4 lug anniversary style wheels, the rear wheels are a 10, not a 10.5 & a 275 actually is a perfect fit on them. Removal of the quad shocks is required & some "massaging" of the inner rear wheel well is required.

jon, what exact year lenses did you use on your car? i want them for my 93 notch, i'm goin to order them through you guys.

ps, you do any stangnet discount codes? i have never asked with my orders. :shrug:

I used the 84 SVO style with the black stripe:

1984 Mustang Svo Black Taillight Lens Kit by OE Ford Tool at LRS - Same Day Shipping!

If you wanted it to be 93 Cobra Style, you'd want to use the 85-86 gray stripe:

1985-86 Mustang Svo Taillight Lens Kit Also for 93 Cobra, Charcoal Gray at LRS - Same Day Shipping!

The wheels are on for those who were wondering. I ended up with 255/40/17 and 275/40/17 Toyo Proxes 4. I "massaged the inner fender with a mallet a little and removed the quad shocks. I just drove it to my place about 10 miles. I'll check to see if there are is any rubbing but I am pretty good at feeling/hearing issues and so far ok. I may need to use the rack limiters up front but not sure yet. Hope this helps someone considering these wheels.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah I'm a fan of those lenses as well :)

mustang3-3.jpg

I paid for NOS Ford Lenses, on reconditioned OEM Ford housings (new paint, new seals, new hardware)... Got them from Fox Mustang Restoration, they cost 350ish but for basically brand new taillights with factory fit they are hard to beat.

Attachments

• mustang3-3.jpg
    mustang3-3.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 321
I too went with a set of the 10h Anniversary Chrome in 17x9 front and 17x10 rear since posting initially. I bought them as a package with Nexen (made by Michelin) tires in 255/40 up front and 275/40 out back. Seeing it now, I would have liked to have gone just a hair wider with the tires both front and back. They do fit squarely, but they are a little stretched and provide next to no curb rash protection….so I’ll have to be careful.

Quad shocks "had" to go. Was gonna try flipping them, but twisted off the upper mounting bolts on each side trying to get them off....so I just removed them. Haven't rolled the rear fenders yet, but I will. Drove it about 7km home after the swap and didn't notice anything, but I was taking it pretty easy. My passenger side exhaust pipe comes awfully close to the tire, so that'll have to be finagled a little...but otherwise, no issues.

Car darts around a little more while driving, but I blame that on the wider front wheels and tires.

They look awesome. Will post pics later.

I ended up going with 255/40/17 up front and 275/40/17 in the back all on the 9 inch 10th anniversary chrome rims. No rubbing issues in the back (already had quads flipped, no rolled lips). Occasionally the front drivers tire will rub when backing up and hitting the brakes with the wheel turned full lock.