Any ideas??!

RDavis84

Jun 23, 2020
MO
I have an 03 GT 5 speed. There is a clunk in the drivetrain when I release the throttle when its light load, higher gears, lower speeds. I have put on new upper and lower rear control arms and bushings, rear gears and bearings, and about to replace trans mount. U-Joints in good shape. Is there anything else that could be the problem??
The sound seems to be coming from around the trans sometimes and other times sounds like it's in the rear.

• Sponsors (?)

Did you have the "clunk" before the new upper and lower rear control arms/bushings, rear gears and bearings? If not...look at those particular changes before proceeding. If so, checking u joints (again), rear trans mount and looking for loose exhaust pipes may be appropriate...while the driveshaft is loose, check your trans for excessive play on the output (seems unlikely).

Did you have the "clunk" before the new upper and lower rear control arms/bushings, rear gears and bearings? If not...look at those particular changes before proceeding. If so, checking u joints (again), rear trans mount and looking for loose exhaust pipes may be appropriate...while the driveshaft is loose, check your trans for excessive play on the output (seems unlikely).
The clunk was before doing all the work. The bushings were shot, so that's where I thought the clunk was coming from. Also put new exhaust on, it's all nice and tight. Just wondering of there is anything else I should check when I replace the trans mount.

Reactions: 1 user