Any Mustang convertible Owners with Subwoofers?

derek02gt

Dec 25, 2003
whats up guys..I have a 02 vert and im trying to build a sound system..so far I have a kenwood 6019 doubledin 7" touchscreen and jl 300/2 with some 2way cdt audio hd62's..I want to install either 1 "12 or 2 of them. I dont want the type of bass that vibrates dinner tables but just something that sounds really good inside the car..one 12 or two? what would do the job? and where is everyone putting their subs with mustang convertibles? I hear the trunk is a horrid place for them to go and in-cabin is the best..well let me know thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

I have 2 JL tens in my trunk in a Q Logic box I got at Best Buy -- it was the smallest dual 10 in box i could find, because of how small our trunks are.
I have the factory Mach460 along with the factory headunits (tape/cd) too, with a line out convertor.

I am pleased with the way it sounds, although I hate that I cant put anything in my trunk (not that I really could in the first place). But thats what the back seat is for!

Oh and it sounds great INSIDE the car. Deep clean bass. NOT A RATTLE CAN BE HEARD FROM THE OUTSIDE, I love it. And thats without Dynamat or any other sound deadener.

Be careful! I had a 12" back there, put the top down not thinking, and popped the seal on the back window. Just be careful!

I currently just have 1-12" Kicker Comp-V in a Q-logic box. The only way to get it in was to take off the trunk latch and slam the box in. It LITERALLY just fits and takes up half my trunk. :p

This is a great thread, I have some stuff to put in my 'Vert

Clarion in-dash DVD, clarion centerchannel, Focal 165K2P's, Focal access 165A's, and a Focal 11' driver.(I guess my 16" will not fit.....) Audison SrX2 and SrX3 amplifiers, and some dynamat sound deadining.

I've had the car a week or so, and really look forward to getting the stereo done....

derek02gt said:
keep em coming..Fivepoint and Ambo, how does it sound with the top down down??I can care less about trunk space:)..I dont know if I want to get 2 12's..1 12..or 2 10's..
On my 94 vert i have an Alpine IVA-D310, Alpine type R components front/back, a JL 1000/1 , a JL 500/4 for the amps and two 12" type R's...it sounds AMAZING even with the top down!!!! it was built for sound quality and the guy who built me my box got it at .09 cu ft. for each chamber which is what they call for....go alpine type r on your subs, i have had jl's fosgates, RE, and mtx and these sound the cleanest, i will try to find a picture to post

This is an old pic before the JL amps...now the amps are flush mounted on my rear seat delete kit, the entire trunk is dynamated and it made a HUDE diefference in sound quality also.

Picture193.jpg

Attachments

• Picture193.jpg
    Picture193.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 1,253
i have a single 12" JLW6 powered by a JL 500/1. It is in a truck style wedge enclosure. It barely fits in through the trunk opening but does and tucks neatly into the corner of my trunk. I still have about 60% of my trunkspace and still have my spare. The sound is great top up or down.

I have had three different systems in my car in the past 6 months. First I had three Audiobahn 10's with a HiFonics BX1505D, and it was loud. Then I blew the 10's and got two Kicker 10" L5s with the same amp and it sounded good, but those only lasted for a couple weeks. I now have a singe Diamond Audio 12 with a Kicker 400.1 and it sounds alot better than the first two. It is in a 2.4 cubic foot ported box, tuned to 38 Hz. The best thing is, I can put the top down without having to move the box all around, but when the top is down I can't hear the sub for ****. That could be because of the Magnapacks.........

If you are going to do this, MAKE sure that you put some sound deadening in the trunk first. It makes a world of difference.