Any one put ladder bars on a 69 or so stang with factory frame rails?

nevin15

Oct 6, 2005
Olahte KS
have serious wheel hop problems with slicks at the track so Im thinking about going to ladder bars and coil overs, but I need about 34 inches from center of rear axle tube to where the front cross member will weld in and I only have about 31 3/4 Torch? cutting wheel? Hammer? reweld? my floor pan is in the way any help anone ? PICS of a car that has been done?:SNSign: :shrug: :bang:

• Sponsors (?)

10secgoal said:
Stock suspension can get you into the 9's, cheaper and easrier than a ladder bar. Search Caltracs

I went from under rider traction bars to slapper bars to caltracs and still have traction problems. I have gotten zero support from the folks at Caltrac. My case is a little different because of the torque a stroker motor puts out at low rpm, but you might still consider the four link set-ups. The negative side is all the cutting involved.

thehueypilot said:
I went from under rider traction bars to slapper bars to caltracs and still have traction problems. I have gotten zero support from the folks at Caltrac. My case is a little different because of the torque a stroker motor puts out at low rpm, but you might still consider the four link set-ups. The negative side is all the cutting involved.

Hey huey, what do you have done to the suspension now?? I don't know if I can help any of you guys or not but this is what I have done to my suspension and with absolutely NO wheelhop. 70 mach with a mild 408. Removed front and rear sway bars. I put the caltracks on and still could't hook either. Put the 6 cyl springs w/air in and some cheap summit adjustables in front. This hooked quite a bit better but still spun. Tried some Rancho 9way adjustables in the back. After playing with air pressure and caltrack settings and getting the shocks down around #'s 2-3 she almost always hooks now! Just ran a 1.59 60ft. Caltracks are in lower hole with 1/2 turn preload on both sides (but with driver weight in the drivers seat) 15 psi in the 28/11.5-15 et streets. Had a friend video taping, It is carrying both front tires about 6 inches for about 10ft. Of course this is at the strip. I don't think nothing you do will hook much on the street.

Hey Jasonn..........I'm impressed! To get a 1.59 60ft and pull the front wheels is an awesome accomplishment for that big of a car with a 408. You have found the elusive perfect set-up for your car but I am still searching. I put the six cylinder coil springs up front with roller spring perches and Summit 90/10 shocks. The front sway bar is still connected. The rear end has 4.5 leaf springs and Caltracs with the Rancho 9 way shocks. The Caltracs went from 1/2 turn to 1.5 turns in the lower hole and the shocks are set to the #3 setting. I have the 26 X 10.5 X 15 MT drag radials with 16 psi. I mostly only run at the track and my best 60' so far with this set-up is 1.70 with the wheels still spinning. The back end is so stiff I cannot deflect it more than a 1/2" without alot of effort.

Oh and I forgot about one thing though. I made some leaf spring clamps also. Just half inch stock x one inch with 2 holes on the ends. Just clamp the springs together in front of the axle with 2 clamps per side. Huey, that thing should start hooking. Try disconnecting the sway bar and put some clamps on the leafs and it should start hooking then! Oh, wouldn't hurt to just try some 28 inch tires, although not sure how much it would help.

Nevin, the cars with stock floors that I've seen make sheet metal pockets for the ladder bars to rid up in. Sorta like square tube frame connectors that run thru the floor, except these go uphill. In other words, you cut your floor to make the bars fit, then make some sheet metal covers to fit. You lose your rear seat if you have one, btw.

thehueypilot said:
The front sway bar is still connected.
any reason why you're still running the front sway bar at the track?? you can't get the weight to the rear if it's not giving it up in front. with all of the traction problems you're having, i'm surprised that isn't one of the 1st you'd try.

paul302 said:
any reason why you're still running the front sway bar at the track?? you can't get the weight to the rear if it's not giving it up in front. with all of the traction problems you're having, i'm surprised that isn't one of the 1st you'd try.

It was removed and I added the 6 cylinder springs and my best 60' was about 1.60, but I have since moved on to a late model to run at the track instead.