Any solution to the PCV valve oil consumption problem ?

mto502

Founding Member
Sep 18, 2002
Ancaster, Ontario
I've been doing searches and found plenty to read on aftermarket intakes having problems with the PCV valve's sucking up oil into the intake. Plenty of people have tried different methods to prevent this from happening but I haven't read anything about a solution to the problem as of yet.

Anyone ?

• Sponsors (?)

There has to be a solution out there somewhere.

OK can anyone answer this then ?
Does the lower intake on the Trick Flow track heat have a built in baffle on the underside of the intake? If not, I want to have something setup while I have it off during the cam install.

All intakes suck up *some* oil, it's a fact of life. But I don't think it's that big of a deal. I don't lose a noticable amount of oil between changes, and I know my intake gets wetted down pretty good.

I'm having to add too much oil. The odd time on a good tromp on the throttle I notice a nice puff of smoke out the back as well. At $7 a litre I don't want to be adding this stuff as fast as it uses it. I'm thinking the lower trick flow intake doesn't have a baffle. If it doesn't that is just plain old stupidity on trick flows part.
I'm getting a compression test done as soon as the snow is gone. When I get the compression test done, which I'll need for a custom cam, I'll also determine that it's not a ring problem. I highly doubt it's the rings since the block has 31,000 miles on it and last year when it was stock it didn't use a drop of oil.

When I take the plenum off, there is a puddle in there, but when I check the dipstick, it doesnt seem to really use a lot.

If all you want to do is prevent the oil from entering the intake, you can put one of those air compressor moisture filters in-line between the intake and pcv. The oil will catch on the bottom.

My filter say tho "not to be used with synthetic oils" I guess it would eat away at the glass housing.

RC

Here is a pic of the filter...Disregard the WHOLE schematic if youre not interested in it.

663121BreatherSystem.jpg

It's the blue piece.
RC

If you get smoke while you're on the throttle, that seems like it's probably not a PCV problem. I get a little bit of blue smoke when coming off the throttle at high RPM, because the vacuum then is enormous and sucks atomized oil from the crankcase. Blue smoke during WOT is probably something else... more expensive, of course.

Dave

94GTLaserRC said:
When I take the plenum off, there is a puddle in there, but when I check the dipstick, it doesnt seem to really use a lot.

If all you want to do is prevent the oil from entering the intake, you can put one of those air compressor moisture filters in-line between the intake and pcv. The oil will catch on the bottom.

My filter say tho "not to be used with synthetic oils" I guess it would eat away at the glass housing.

RC
Do you have an illutration of this thing or a part number? I still want to know if there's a baffle in there. If not I want to rig something up and weld it on while the lower intake is off during the cam install.

HairyCanary said:
If you get smoke while you're on the throttle, that seems like it's probably not a PCV problem. I get a little bit of blue smoke when coming off the throttle at high RPM, because the vacuum then is enormous and sucks atomized oil from the crankcase. Blue smoke during WOT is probably something else... more expensive, of course.

Dave
It's not reaslly blue but more of a white smoke. I know people are going to say this is coolant related but it's not coolant. I know it's oil in the intake because I had to buy a baffled grommet for the valve cover. I was sucking up tons of ouil on through the TB before I put a baffled grommet in there. Now I think it's coming through the PCV and puddling up. It probably just puddles up enough until I relly get on it and then blows out the tail pipes.

Nagash01WS6 said:
In the LS1 world we used a Greddy catch can to keep oil from getting into the intake manifold. Or... vertical fuel filter i.e. 90* fitting then into a fuel filter then into the PCV.
The fuel filters just get plugged up with oil and eventually allow oil into the intake again.

well i smell my car using up oil at higher rpms too. i just rebuilt my stock block about 3k miles ago and the guy that rebuilt it said that there the riings were perfect distance away when we redid them. shouldnt have ANY oil leaking through. but my car still seems to eat up oil. no major leaks any bit. maybe a drop here or there if the car sits for like a day or two.

I'm still wondering if the lower aftermarket intake has the built in baffle on the underside like the stock lower does. Anyone ?
If it doesn't I'd like to know if there's anything on the market that can be welded on or mounted somehow to stop the oil from hitting the pcv.