Any Tips On How To Clean The Engine Bay

Killa

Jul 9, 2007
any tips on how to clean and degrease the engine bay, not just engine alone , but the firewall... and all the gunk and dirt of all the line...

I do not have a pressure wash.

• Sponsors (?)

It was the cheap stuff from walmart. I did looose some paint but that may have been from the pressure washer. I was not worried about the paint on mine I was repainting it black anyhow. On my truck and wife's car I use gunk engine degreaser and a small brush to help loosen things up. Then rinse with a hose. Works pretty well to clean things up.

I use Simple Green as well. I find it does a good job without the harsh chemicals.

I was always taught NEVER to spray water, or anything else for that matter, on a hot engine. So, I always do mine cold, before it's been fired for the first time that day. I'm sure others will disagree, but that's what I was taught and have never had a problem.

This is a pic of me cleaning my engine compartment. I used 200 PSI of air pressure, and Starbright Black oxide media. You have to be careful not to completely disintegrate the entire engine though,...so,..be careful if you go this route.
sandblasting.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
I'd take it to the local do it yourself car wash bay where you have access to high pressure water, then hose it down with some of this....

superclean_cleaner_degreaser_group.png

....let it sit for a couple of minutes and then blast it. Might have to do it a couple of times, but it'll be spotless when you're done.