Any way to prove friend has 347?

5spd GT

"the 5.0 owns all"
Founding Member
Aug 7, 2002
Arkansas
My cousin recently bought a 90 GT and the previous owner told him that he rebuilt it with a 347 kit and it had 5000 miles on it currently...I've looked at the engine and the heads and all are stock....it does sound like it has a cam of some sort...nothing big....The car only runs a high 13...(the cars not in the best shape but still even with restricting stock heads and intake wouldn't it do better than that)...the previous owner also says it has 373's but I think it has 355's...sounded like he was playing my cousin... :mad:

Just curious if there is some sort of way to find out if has got it without tearing down the motor...similar to a compression test or something like that? We are stumped and would just like some ideas or proof...I dont' think it has it because of the lack of power there....but :shrug:

Thanks guys.... :nice:

David

• Sponsors (?)

i can't think of a way to measure piston travel without pulling a head aside from getting a cylinder to bottom dead center and putting a wire in the spark plug whole and measuring. it won't be dead on, but you'll be able to see a difference between stock stroke and a 347's stroke :shrug:

I highly doubt somebody would go to the expense of a 347 and return stock heads on it. It would kill the 347 so to answer one question it could be a 347 with stock heads and run in the 13's. But it seems like he got "played". Never know for sure, I would measure piston travel and see what you come up with. If you are even close you will know if it is a stroker motor. The gears are easy to check, jack up the car and count the revolutions of the driveshaft to the revolution of the tires.

hahaha. a friend just built a 347 stroker (well he didnt, but a shop did) and he "returned" the stock heads onto it. it should fire up sometime this week. ya i know this is a pointless post but it was funny reading thegabrielles post.

Did your friend ask if there was any reciepts for the built motor. Someone bought the parts and built the motor. Tell him to call the guy he bought it from and see if he has reciepts. I have every reciept for every part I ever bought new.

thegabrielles---- AH we meet again! hehehe. I agree with you. It is uncommon for someone to spend the time and money on a stroker build and not top it off with a good set of heads.
THATS LIKE WINEING AND DINING A GIRL FOR A FEW MONTHS AND NOT GETTING LAID.

It is possible that he did put E7TEs back on the motor.

First of all if it is a 347 it will have .030 over pistons in it. Take out a plug and shine a light in the plug hole. You may have to use a little mirror to see. Its hard to get your head down in there to see.

347 have .030 pistons in them. But if it dosnt have .030 pistons that dosnt mean its not a stroker. But it a good way to tell if the motor has been worked on internally without ripping it apart.

THE EASIEST thing to do is to call the guy and tell him you want to see reciepts for the work. 347s require machine work of some kind. Someone had to do the work.

i know a guy that built a 347 with stock E7s but put a carb setup on it. people will do anything. measuring the stroke with a wire should work fine i guess. 3.00= 302 3.40= 347.

Well no dynos in our immediate area....

It just don't feel like a 347 or that it has "lots of torque"...

The previous owner said that he "rebuilt it with a 347"...and I know the guy does drag race an ugly truck that runs mid12's and he is only 19 or so...I really doubt it he built it himself....because for one my cousin got the car for 2000....so I doubt he would have went through all the trouble and sold it "5000 miles" later for 2gs.... :shrug:

So I can put a wire in the spark plug hole....how could you effectively get close to measuring something like that? Sorry for all the stupid questions and comments...lol :D

My cousin and I run neck and neck in our cars....check sig for 93....and he has longtubes, offroad h, dumped, shifter, and 355's? and supposed 347...and that is it...I do drive a bit better than he does...and I might be able to edge him out by at most a car...or so...

David

5spd GT said:
So I can put a wire in the spark plug hole....how could you effectively get close to measuring something like that? Sorry for all the stupid questions and comments...lol :D

David

Well there is a big difference between 3 and 3.4. Its not too hard hand crank the motor to BDC make a mark on the wire and measure it. You could then do the same on a stock motor then check the differences if your not sure.

DavidF said:
Well there is a big difference between 3 and 3.4. Its not too hard hand crank the motor to BDC make a mark on the wire and measure it. You could then do the same on a stock motor then check the differences if your not sure.

So I just pull out a sparkplug and stick a "moveable" wire in there....how do I go about BDC and how would I know I am at TDC...

5spd GT said:
My cousin recently bought a 90 GT and the previous owner told him that he rebuilt it with a 347 kit and it had 5000 miles on it currently...I've looked at the engine and the heads and all are stock....it does sound like it has a cam of some sort...nothing big....The car only runs a high 13...(the cars not in the best shape but still even with restricting stock heads and intake wouldn't it do better than that)...the previous owner also says it has 373's but I think it has 355's...sounded like he was playing my cousin... :mad:

Just curious if there is some sort of way to find out if has got it without tearing down the motor...similar to a compression test or something like that? We are stumped and would just like some ideas or proof...I dont' think it has it because of the lack of power there....but :shrug:

Thanks guys.... :nice:

David

Take the oil pan off and see if the cylinders have notches in them. This would probably be the easiest route and I have never installed a kit without having to notch the cylinders for rod bolt clearance.

Or you could make that gear ratio thing a hell of a lot easier on yourself and your brain and just spin the back tires once around, and count how many revolutions the drive shaft makes. 3.55 = three and a half turns, and 3.73 = three and three quarters. HAHA that sounds a lot easier to me...better than counting 37 revolutions of the drive shaft...good luck and for the 347 part i would do what everyone else is suggesting and use a coathanger wire and measure the piston travel. good luck man and i would deffinately get in touch with the guy who sold your cousin the car...