Any way to tell if my car is modified?

It doesn't seem like it's off really. I mean if anything high speeds seem slower. Just always confused me why cops wouldn't pull me over when the speed limit is 55 and I passed them doing 75. Happened probably 4 times now. Guess I should prolly find one of those police radar guns and test it
Just use a GPS app on your phone. Waze works well enough for comparison purposes.

• Sponsors (?)

^^^^ he said 'prolly' ^^^^
:rlaugh: :lol::lol::rlaugh:

In all seriousness, two ways to tell about the rear gear, first look at the rear end cover, there should be a tag on one of the bolts, clean it off and write down the characters (numbers/letters) there are places to go to de code it, if no tag it likely has been changed, go to the door tag and there is an axle code there. This tells you factory installed ratio. You can pull the cover and look for numbers on the ring gear. Or:
Now you are going to need a friend, pick one that can count or has at least 8 fingers and 2 thumbs.
with the rear end jacked up and on jack stands (do not use harbor freight jack stands, there is a recall on certain ones) mark the drive shaft, I would start with the tire stem at the top or bottom, turn the wheel/tire slowly, the drive shaft is going to turn 2 or 3 times faster, 10 revolutions counting the drive shaft revolutions, you can turn the wheel/tire one time but it will be an appropriate, best guess, 10 times is more accurate. It will not be exact but will get you in the ball park.
Example:
30 drive shaft turns = 3.08
37 =3.73
I do it twice just to compare counts.

I like it!
I bet you just have not really got into the secondaries before. The Vac secondaries are great for a street car.

The choke horn is stamped like a Holley, but I cannot read the numbers. The vac secondary diagram housing looks Holley, and the front bowl enters me is not what I would expect from an aftermarket Holley. Did Ford outsource the GT carb?

That is a lot better than a simple Yes. That’s the type of info the OP needs if he decides to try to tune it.
Side thought, IF Hot Rod goes down the tubes Like most of the nonsense and Cheese car publications,, we will have lost a great resource.

When I removed the Holley like Ford 2bbl carb from my 79 5.0, I Bought a used a Holley 1850-2, rebuilt it, added an electric choke and I think a quick change spring kit to. It worked well, even without the idle kicker and dealer AC. This actual carb was cost prohibitive then.

The advice to periodically clean out the EGR plate is a good one. Dad’s 1977 Granada 302 2bbl EGR plate was a pain to get clean after it was completely clogged.

Yes, holley made them:

I thought Hot Rod was on line only now, all the others I used to get are now. Sorry, I just am not into reading an online mag.

IF Hot Rod goes down the tubes Like most of the nonsense and Cheese car publications,, we will have lost a great resource.
I don't believe Hot Rod and Car Craft were 'nonsence and cheese car publications '.

No no no! I mean that Road and Track, and Motor Trend (The Whine and Cheese Ones ) are still in print, while almost all of magazines most of interest to to many of us, Car Craft, Street Rodder, MM and FF, and probably more specialty mags just closed for a TV channel and streaming service. And I just got a paper printed Hot Rod Magazine and a renewal request. I did not take the 5 year option after they ate the rest of my other subscriptions.

I thought Hot Rod was on line only now, all the others I used to get are now. Sorry, I just am not into reading an online mag.

I don't believe Hot Rod and Car Craft were 'nonsence and cheese car publications '.
They both were...at one time or another.
There was a time when the only thing they covered almost back to back was a freakin Camaro, or Chevelle,..and even when/if there was some non-Chevy product featured, it was hideous.
Then there was their obsession with Van's during the mid-late 70's...it got so bad that there wasnt even a car featured some months.

Hush! You are showing our ages that we remember when they got stuck on those fads. “Car Crap“ was Chevy Central for a while more recently, and caught a lot of flack for it. The more recent editors were doing a better job. I do not mind learning about other makes (even what that Honda might be running!), but I liked it when the projects and features were a mix of breeds.
I think the thread is officially derailed now. Sorry, @Ernsay

They both were...at one time or another.
There was a time when the only thing they covered almost back to back was a freakin Camaro, or Chevelle,..and even when/if there was some non-Chevy product featured, it was hideous.
Then there was their obsession with Van's during the mid-late 70's...it got so bad that there wasnt even a car featured some months.

^^^^ he said 'prolly' ^^^^
:rlaugh: :lol::lol::rlaugh:

In all seriousness, two ways to tell about the rear gear, first look at the rear end cover, there should be a tag on one of the bolts, clean it off and write down the characters (numbers/letters) there are places to go to de code it, if no tag it likely has been changed, go to the door tag and there is an axle code there. This tells you factory installed ratio. You can pull the cover and look for numbers on the ring gear. Or:
Now you are going to need a friend, pick one that can count or has at least 8 fingers and 2 thumbs.
with the rear end jacked up and on jack stands (do not use harbor freight jack stands, there is a recall on certain ones) mark the drive shaft, I would start with the tire stem at the top or bottom, turn the wheel/tire slowly, the drive shaft is going to turn 2 or 3 times faster, 10 revolutions counting the drive shaft revolutions, you can turn the wheel/tire one time but it will be an appropriate, best guess, 10 times is more accurate. It will not be exact but will get you in the ball park.
Example:
30 drive shaft turns = 3.08
37 =3.73
I do it twice just to compare counts.
That has got to be the most convoluted tech advice I’ve ever heard. How about this:
For every single turn of the drive side rear tire, count drive shaft revolutions. If the driveshaft goes around 3 times and the tire goes around once,..take a guess what the axle ratio is?
If it has to be any closer than that, you'll need to remove the rear cover and count teeth.
But I'm gonna bet that that wont be necessary.. I'll bet the rear end cover tag is still gonna be on there, and the rear end will be be just as stock as the engine is.

All I can say to the OP is that if you think a carbureted 5.0 mustang is fast, you need to avoid riding in a new one,.....

You'll have a stroke.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Mike-mike-mike-mike-mike
Look he thinks it's fast. I think there is a possibility that it is fast. Fast is a relative term. It is fast compared to a prius. It's fast compared to the dump truck. I remember the first time my car got loose on me, it was fun.
You are real quick to piss in a new members wheaties.
And yeah, he said 'prolly' :rlaugh:

@CarMichael Angelo
Just to clarify, MOST people can't tell with one revolution if the gear is a 2.73 or a 3.08, and a 3.55 and 3.73 is pretty close too, turning it ten times is more accurate, it's not that much more work, you just have to use all the fingers and thumbs, not everyone is as astute as you and can visualize degrees in one turn of the drive shaft, yes, one turn is probably close enough for government work but I don't work for the freek'n government.

Reactions: 1 user
It doesn't seem like it's off really. I mean if anything high speeds seem slower. Just always confused me why cops wouldn't pull me over when the speed limit is 55 and I passed them doing 75. Happened probably 4 times now. Guess I should prolly find one of those police radar guns and test it

If you have a smart phone, you can get a GPS app that will give you the actual speed you’re going so you can check your speedo against it.

And yeah I don't really wanna dragster. I just like that it's fun to cruise in and that I can repair it myself. Kinda suprised me when I was told that I should get on it and see what it could do, just seemed alot faster than i thought it was. And yeah the guy that told me he thought it may be built inside the motor said his neighbor has a new mustang that's modified and it roasts his Kawasaki 1000 so they must be fast.