Any1 ever add power steering??

PonyPower96

Founding Member
Apr 27, 2002
Hey guys, i bought my mustang and previous owner set it up for manual steering by buying a manual steering rack and everything. I bought the car last year and was only going to drive it around occasionally so it wasnt a big deal but this year im goin to have to commute to school (which is only 30 miles) because my bro is gonna take the daily driver to high school. I really didnt wanna put the miles on the car but i have to and i really dont wanna drive without power steering for long distance cause it is definetly a hassle to me. My car is far from stock and has a tubular k member up front and i was wondering if it is worth doing the swap back to power steering. Also, is there a part list i can get for this or something and how much do you think it will cost me. Im thinking ill be able to sell the manual rack and everything and make the cost a lot less. Thanks for the help guys.

• Sponsors (?)

You will need:

1. A PS pump
2. A power rack
3. a pressure hose
4. a return hose
5. A different belt (I hope your AC is still there or else the belt is re-routed and you might have a fwd rotation water pump, in which case you'll need a reverse rotation water pump and a different clutchfan to match. Hopefully it's just an idler pulley)
6. Some bracket to hold The PS pump to the engine.
7. Either a stock "rag joint" or an adapter for your flaming river shaft so it can meet up with the bowtie flange on the stock rack.

I have both the ragjoint and the adapter and the brackets to hold it all since I just went from ps-> manual. Lemme know if you are interested.

8. An alignment.

Not worth it really. You probably have the 15:1 rack. The 18:1 rack is so much easier to turn.

crazypete said:
You will need:

1. A PS pump
2. A power rack
3. a pressure hose
4. a return hose
5. A different belt (I hope your AC is still there or else the belt is re-routed and you might have a fwd rotation water pump, in which case you'll need a reverse rotation water pump and a different clutchfan to match. Hopefully it's just an idler pulley)
6. Some bracket to hold The PS pump to the engine.
7. Either a stock "rag joint" or an adapter for your flaming river shaft so it can meet up with the bowtie flange on the stock rack.

I have both the ragjoint and the adapter and the brackets to hold it all since I just went from ps-> manual. Lemme know if you are interested.

8. An alignment.

Not worth it really. You probably have the 15:1 rack. The 18:1 rack is so much easier to turn.

Thank you for the information!!