Anybody ever use the stock TKO shifter?

LarsD

Founding Member
Jul 2, 2002
Texas
I have a TKO-600 sitting on the bench waiting to go in with my new engine. I bought a MGW shifter for it. Upon opening it I found that the MGW doesn't have shift stops. MGW said they will take it back since I was expecting the stops and didn't know they don't build the TKO shifters without them. I was considering sending it back and just using the base that Tremec sent me, but if it sucks I'll just keep the MGW. I can't really test it since the trans is out of the car and it will be probably another month before I get my engine. Anybody ever do a comparo?

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Yeah TKO only iirc. I'll probably just use the MGW and not worry about it. I called them and they said that Tremec stated they were getting warranty returns on gearboxes because of improperly adjusted stops (not getting full gear engagement) . So they went ahead and just eliminated the stops.

Goto promotion performance, he makes a shifter stop plate that goes on the tko shifter, i think it's like $80.
Tko's do have internal stops, but guys have been known to break them off when slamming gears and then they get ground up in the transmission.

Goto promotion performance, he makes a shifter stop plate that goes on the tko shifter, i think it's like $80.
Tko's do have internal stops, but guys have been known to break them off when slamming gears and then they get ground up in the transmission.

See I knew I read that somewhere. I wonder how common that is. I'm not super hard on my shifts, I would probably be OK, but who knows?