Anybody from Florida?

Husky44

10 Year Member
Sep 27, 2006
Tacoma, WA
Looking at my options to relocate. One is to Highlands County, FL. Don't have a town name, but it looks like from the map that there's not many towns to begin with. ;)

Anybody on here got any good info on that area?

• Sponsors (?)

I lived in FL for 20 years. I worked for the census board through RTI, and counted and listed Okeechobee which is a town on the north side of Lake Okeechobee. That was a poverty den, but that's caused by the sugar industry there. You better like the smell of burning sugar cane if you want to move there. I've actually never been in the Sebring area. Of course Sebring has the famous race track which wouldn't be far from you. I think it would be a nice place to live. Is this for some job opportunity there? What do you like to do? I'm familiar with almost all of Florida.

Kurt

I was just at Sebring Raceway last weekend. I like the area. Lake Placid is a nice quiet town. The racetrack at Sebring is awesome, and it's not too far from Orlando. I guess it all depends on what you like. There's lots of action here in Florida. I live in Fort Myers which is on the west coast, and there's a lot going on here. But UPR is on the east coast, not far from Fort Lauderdale. The Miami Fort - Fort Lauderdale area is outta control!! (fun to visit, but I don't think I'd want to live there)

I work for an oil company that's rather unpopular in the SE US over the past couple of years. They have an opening at an ethanol plant there that looks interesting.

Not too encouraged by what I'm reading here though. :(

I've only been to FL three times, two with the military. I spent a couple of weeks in the mid 80s at Camp Blanding, doing some SERE training and different waterborne ops. I went back in the early 90s for Hurricane Andrew relief.

Last trip there was in August 2009 to Disney World.

As far as what I like to do? Well, my most recent hobby was snowmobiling, but I just sold my last sled. Looking forward to getting back to work on my 67 once school's out. Would like the idea living near some good road race tracks; I'd love to get into vintage racing. Other than that, hang out with the wife, travel, eat well, and get away from cold weather.

I went back in the early 90s for Hurricane Andrew relief.

Well we appreciate that. I was 12 years old, and that was probably the 2 most miserable weeks of my life. I was in Perrine at the time, in the house when the hurricane came through. Ended up in a closet covered in sea water and fiberglass. The hurricane pretty much took the rest of the house.

Kurt

Glad to do it! I was with the 82d ABN then. My unit was on Homestead AFB, but I spent almost every day out in the area, coordinating deliveries of relief materials, setting up water purification sites and distribution sites. It was definitely a rewarding time, helping people out. The devastation was amazing. I remember driving through Miami the first night we were down there, with NO street lights, and NO people around. The only signs of life, other than us, was the flashing red and blue lights of cop cars reflecting off the buildings. It looked like something out of a Mad Max movie.

I know my guys enjoyed that time a lot, because we got to make a difference.

I was up in Boca Raton (between the Broward / Palm Beach County line) when Andrew hit. I was 21 years old at the time and had a pick up truck. My Dad and I went down to Homestead (Campbell Dr.) to help out. People were sitting on their stoops just starring into space with no house behind them. We rounded a bunch of families up in the back of the truck and brought them to the school for food and supplies. We did that all day. The National Guard had just got there and they were on every corner with rifles. Felt like we were in a different Country.

Anyway, there are tracks all over Florida. You're close to Sebring, and hour from 1/4 mile racing, SCCA goes through the entire State basically. If you can deal with 100 degree summer's, mosquito's and 85 degrees on Christmas then Florida will work out for you.

I was born in Orlando and lived there untill I left for the AirForce when I was 18.
My wife was born in Naples and later moved to Orlando where we met.

I'm actually headed back to Naples in a few weeks, we are throwing a JENNABEARS carshow out there!