Anybody have a pic of the alternator bracket setup for a 67 Mustang?

LarsD

Founding Member
Jul 2, 2002
Texas
I pulled the alt off my wife's 67 tonight to get it tested tomorrow since there is a draw in the system. The previous owner suspected the alt since he unhooked it and the draw went away, I figure it is either the alt or the regulator but I digress. The way it is/was mounted is kinda weird, one bracket (the adjustable one) swings under the alt and the bolt runs in the back, the other thing is there is a piece of all thread and a home made cut spacer that threads into the head for the other side of the alt (hence I suspect monkey business). Seems kind of odd that it would be setup like this. So does anybody have a pic of a 1st gen 289/302 alternator bracket setup?

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

I don't have a picture but I can describe it. The allthread goes into the head, the spacer slides on the allthread, the alternator goes on the allthread and a nut should tighten it down. The lower bracket attaches to the alternator and runs to a bottom water pump bolt. I have a '67 289 and the only difference is I have a bolt instead of all thread.

WK5512.JPG

I don't have a picture but I can describe it. The allthread goes into the head, the spacer slides on the allthread, the alternator goes on the allthread and a nut should tighten it down. The lower bracket attaches to the alternator and runs to a bottom water pump bolt. I have a '67 289 and the only difference is I have a bolt instead of all thread.

Thanks guys, that's how it is setup. What size bolt are you using Rmoore? I'd like to do that so I don't have to remove that bracket to take the alt off.