Anybody have TMJ? Mine is kill'n me today.

• Sponsors (?)

I used to get it pretty bad in college. I remember getting REALLY pissed once becuase it hurt too much to eat a burrito. I got some muscle relaxants from the doctor to take before I went to bed and in about two weeks it was gone and I never got it again.

HISSIN50 said:
Do you grind your teeth at night?

No, but I grit them..which is close and still putting pressure on the jaw I guess. I don't know why it is bothering me today but if I had to guess it is prob me gritting more than usual last night. In theat respect it is somewhat controllable. I mean, I am the type of person that can pre-program my brain to get me up at various times without an alarm clock. I can probably stop myself from gritting teeth too if I use the same principal. The problem is that you get focused so much in your daily "grind" that you forget and may be doing it all day without noticing.

Its a jaw alignment disorder....usually your dentist picks up on it and finds it..you get a snapping/popping when you move you mouth, as in when you eat or just opening your mouth wide....I have it myself...it can flair up pretty decent and be like having a tooth ache in the muscles on the sides of your jaw....
when I get stress out its more painful for me....my freakin jaw just aches...must be passed on as 2 of my kids have it to boot...:(

My dentist a few years ago,told me not to waste money on trying to fix it as there really isn't a fix for it yet....you dump lotsa cash and get nada or end up worse...:nonono: I think he mentioned getting a mouth piece made to help it out or some chit like that??
Mine doesn't seem to get worse, but it's the gift that keeps giving...:nice:

MysteryMachine said:
what if you let someone punch you in the jaw and realign it

Actually, your not to off from it.

I had jaw surgery when I was younger for it. I had it pretty bad...but it really didnt bother me that much. What got me was my orthodontist told me that it can cause arthiritis at an older age if it is bad enough...and not taken care of.