Anybody hear of this, for engine bay smoothing?

• Sponsors (?)

those are just going to trap moisture and promote rust. unless you fill in all the holes in your bay, and if you have already done that what is the point of buying the panels?

I think the panels are awesome. I didn't have a chance to clean up my engine bay other than paint it before i dropped in my 331 and now that it's all set-up I'm not willing to pull it back out. I think these painted would look quite nice. Not to worried about moisture, car doesn't see rain........

A lot of guys on my local forum bend metal and weld it in like that. It is a lot faster to do that then fill every single little whole and then bondo and sand it all smooth. These will weld in fast and be flat. Then you just prime and paint them.

this is how we did mine

04-2.jpg

05-2.jpg

06-2.jpg

08-2.jpg

Attachments

• 05-2.jpg
    05-2.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 332
  • 04-2.jpg
    04-2.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 367
  • 08-2.jpg
    08-2.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 705
  • 06-2.jpg
    06-2.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 6,199
here is one issue I have with these. On the passenger side, the two large holes in the inner fender. These panels will block them off. However, aren't those two holes where you run the air inlet for a blower. I am planning a blower for this car. Is there another way to run blower piping? I talked to the guy and he told me I could cut through these panels, but I do not want to cut them once they are painted. I would mock everything else up, but I do not have the motor or blower yet. I wanted to get the underhood all welded up and then start putting the motor and stuff in. Any ideas about the blower?

Aluminum Engine Bay Panels, Rear Seat Deletes, Door Panels, and more for your Mustang

You can always move the piping to the blower around to get it to where you want it I would think.. so I would prob look at a few blower cars at the track in person or find a friend or local guy with one (ask on here) and take some measure ments etc then cut your hole, have the panels welded in/painted and install your blower and go at it... that would be what I would do especially if I know what blower im going with i'd find someone that has the same blower in person and check it out. Just my .02

I would probably rather have the kind riceslayer has instead of the kind that cover the whole side up. His looks more natural when its all done and you don't have to worry about anything down the road like you will with your blower piping

If I were to do a bay again I would get pre made panels and weld them in for sure. I have about 110 hours into my engine bay doing it the ol fashion way and got to this point. I also have probably about another 40 hours of priming sanding and painting left to go. If I were to have the panels made and done it that way it probably would have been cut in half.
DSCN0505.jpg

DSCN0506.jpg

DSCN0507.jpg

DSCN0508.jpg

DSCN0509.jpg

DSCN0510.jpg

Attachments

• DSCN0506.jpg
    DSCN0506.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 369
  • DSCN0505.jpg
    DSCN0505.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 291
  • DSCN0508.jpg
    DSCN0508.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 282
  • DSCN0507.jpg
    DSCN0507.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 1,723
  • DSCN0510.jpg
    DSCN0510.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 270
  • DSCN0509.jpg
    DSCN0509.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 277
holy smokes! 110 hours to do the whole thing or just the welding, grinding, and bondo? my friend and i did all the fabbing and welding in about 8-10 hours. god knows how much time it took me to learn how to bondo and smooth it all down right. but i still dont know if it was anywhere near 100 hours.

granted i only did the strut towers foward while you did everything behind the towers and the rad support but wow thats alot of time. looks awesome though.