Anybody here autocross or road race?

I see a lot of people take their 'Stangs to the drag strip, but I haven't heard of anyone setting up their pony for corner-carving.

I'm participating in my first autocross next month with my '11 GT and was wondering if anyone had any pointers.

• Sponsors (?)

I've done both, but not with the Mustang... yet. ;) (I just got it 2 months ago...)

Is this your first "ever" autocross? If so, rely on the wisdom of others! Everyone I've met at an event is always very helpful. Find some other people there with Mustangs and ask their advice. Learn how to do a good course-walk, and be sure to walk it at least 3 times (NOT chatting to friends the whole time). Ride with some other people to help learn the timing and techniques, and have other experienced people ride with you.

Oh, most important... HAVE FUN!! :D

First suggestion is make your first run or two of the day relatively slow, learn the course and figure out the line you want to take. Once you don't have to hesitate because you don't know where to go, then push it a little more. Most people that go to autocross a lot don't look down on guys that are not fast, but they get sick of guys that go out, get lost and knock down all the cones because they slide all over the place. Don't run out and buy parts right away, the car will not be what limits your times for a long time. This past year a kid in a Prius with Hankook summer tires beat a guy in a BMW M3 pretty bad, just because the M3 is that guy that gets lost for his first 6 runs of the day and won't listen to instructors. Have fun, autocross is a great time.

This past year a kid in a Prius with Hankook summer tires beat a guy in a BMW M3 pretty bad, just because the M3 is that guy that gets lost for his first 6 runs of the day and won't listen to instructors. Have fun, autocross is a great time.

:lol: :rlaugh: :rlaugh:

The BMW driver definitely needed an adjustment to the loose nut behind the wheel! :nice:

Do you think he posted on the Bimmer forums how he got his butt handed to him by a Prius? :shrug: :D

I use to autocross, some time ago. I haven't been able to find any regular autox'ing near me lately, however. It is a lot of fun and you learn an incredible amount about your car and how it handles as well. A much more useful form of racing than drag racing, IMO. :nice:

I just got my car last fall, and have been thinking of doing one sometime this summer. I've never done one before, though.

A few questions to add, how hard is this on the car? If someone did hit a cone or two, would that do any damage to the car?

I'm not the type of cocky, egotistical person that doesn't listen to advice. One of the reasons I'm doing autocross is because I want to learn as much as I can about handling and suspension setups. Most of the people I've talked to who participate in autocross know a TON about that stuff, and I want to also!

Once you start,especially road course HPDEs you will be hooked. I haven't done one yet with the 2011GT but have done many(Miami homestead,west palm beach and 4 times at Sebring)with my 03 Cobra. You do learn a ton about how to handle your car. Mostly I found I didn't speed on the road anymore because it was boring!!!! LOL Enjoy and be safe

That's really cool. I'd love to get into autocross sometime. It would be really interesting in a newer Mustang, because it seems like a lot of the autocross guys (and gals) seem to run Miatas and S2000s and the like.

Make sure to let us know how it goes!

Check out SCCA Sports Car Club of America There is a ton of information for you there.

I have been autocrossing and open tracking my Mustang ever since I got it in late 2005. Unlike most I don't drag race it. I have a Nova for that!

Auto cross is a lot of fun and reasonably safe and most courses only go for a minute or so. Open track is fun but a lot more dangerous and hard on the car pushing to the upper limits of speed and handling and may last 20 minutes or longer per session depending on the track. I do both.

Don't get frustrated when you are beat by cars you think you should be able to beat. I handily beat a guy with a new 5.0 that was laughing about my Supercharged V6 until I beat him 8 times in a row at the end of the season last year. Autocross has a lot to do with practice, practice and more practice. The more you do it the better you get. There are a lot of mods you can do to make your Mustang handle better but you must be careful if you decide you want to run competitively in classes because of restrictions. Good extreme performance summer tires, if it is warm out, are hands downing going to be the best handling mod you can do. I run Bridgestone Potenza RE11 tire but just for the track because the ware rating is as bad as it gets and they will not last long on the street. Most clubs will have available seasoned veterans that will ride along with novices like yourself giving you lots of pointers. Definitely hook up with one at the track.

I have been doing open track events since 1996. I've only done two autox events as I like higher speeds and Road America is 20min from home.
Dont worry about modding the car yet. Brake fluid and extra pads along with some tools is a good start. Learning your car is the best way of going fast. Also always remember "smooth is fast". And have fun.

I've done auto-x on/off since 1999. Used my '07 GT a few times last year, and that was fun. Walking the course is never the same as when you're in the car at speed, but it's a good idea to walk it several times so you don't forget it.

Slow and smooth is fast. Remember that. You will most likely not see 3rd gear in an auto-x. Most of them in Michigan (for my cars) only get to the top of 2nd, which is still about 60mph (in a parking lot no less). Plenty fast and exciting.

Some places have "driver's schools" for newbie auto-xers. If you have one in your area, take it. It's usually cheap or free.

Don't go nuts with brake pads, rotors and fluids or tires this year. Just learn to drive your car. If you're hooked (like most people get)...then you can spend money on the sport.

:D