Anybody know who has AFR's in stock??

• Sponsors (?)

not to steal this thread, but seeing as though an AFR rep is posting here i have a question...

i bought a pair of AFR heads over the winter and was told they experience valve float at like 5600 or 5700rpm. seeing as though they're a high quality head, why did they do a good job in designing them, but then cheap out on the valve springs? or is it some kind of marketing scheme to have people buy the better springs? for the price of these heads, they should already have the better valve springs. not bashing AFR, i love my heads and the car runs great, just curious though

I dont know what the specs are on a crane 2040 but I do know thta AFR says the springs should be fine for a cam up to 550 lift. Thats what the auction on eBay says but Im just sayin what Ive heard. If your crane has more lift than that I dont know, but Id have to agree with you on this, if you manufacture the best flowing heads on the market, they should come with springs that wont float at high RPM's. Im still going to buy thier heads though, Ive never really heard a bad thing about them.

it doesn't go over the lift spec on the springs, but it doesn't really matter on the lift. right on the AFR site it says "Hydraulic roller cams typically experience valve float at 5800-6000 rpm because of their fast ramp rates. AFR suggests you upgrade your springs to AFR part #8032, 1.530 O.D. with higher spring pressures to reduce chances of valve float associated with rpm’s 6000 or higher."

these better springs shouldn't be an option, they should already be equipped. well i guess everyone has to skip a corner somewhere along the lines? i'd rather them not include the rocker studs and put on better springs. it's more convenient to put in rocker studs than it is to change valve springs. i still bought their product though, but i already bent a rod when my gas pedal got stuck in the floor mat... :(

1991vert said:
:shrug: where'd jason@afr go? i was looking forward to an answer :shrug:

He was off getting the piss beaten out of him because of some small block Chevy's....sometimes the Ford guys don't know how good they have it....some people complain about our 4-6 week timeframe, buy a small block Chev so I can tell you atleast 12 weeks :(

I just went through this on the corral, ahh those standard springs, when it comes to "Every" cam, there is no perfect answer for spring choice, so, we start with the weakest and allow you to upgrade. The standard springs work with alot of "Street" cams, but when it comes to the .550 lift number, ignore it....on a hydraulic roller that has a lifter that weighs substantially more then the flat tappets that rating is from. I will just try to post the link, good information I think...even if it was keyed more towards the pedestal set-up, let me know if you have any other questions...it has been "One of those weeks" so I may have a delayed response, but it will be there.

http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=629532

ok jason, sorry to bother you after having a bad day, but exactly what can valve float do? i had a pushrod come out of the lifter and the rocker cup and get bent. i pulled the valve cover and the rocker are was basically sideways, but the valve was closed (thank god). was this the result of valve float? or just me not making sure the pushrod was correctly seated?

i have the crane #2040 cam and the specs on it are:

Cam Timing: TAPPET @.050
Lift: Opens Closes Max Lift Duration
Intake 0 BTDC 40 ABDC 110 220 °
Exhaust 40 BBDC 0 ATDC 110 220 °

also says valve float at 6500...

Recommended RPM range with matching components
Minimum RPM 2500
Maximum RPM 6000
Valve Float 6500

i guess my question is, what is the safest RPM to stay under?