Anybody see the 351C build in this months MM mag? Its a joke...

ddonaca351

Dec 1, 2002
Camas Washington
Use the low-pro heads (no comp, no squish/swirl)... there-by cant run a good ignition curve, then a little DINKY excuse for a cam, thats smaller than the one in my 302, let alone a 351... (should have had about 10-20 deg more @50 and about .060-.080 of lift... and then act all impressed by a PATHETIC 320hp.

If any of you are thinking of building a Cleveland motor, you might want to use this as a good idea of what NOT to do. IMHO....

When will the rag-azine writers ever learn how to build a motor???
:shrug: :Damnit:

Ok, I'm done venting now.

DD

• Sponsors (?)

probably has something to do with all the vendors selling windsor stuff.

Wasn't the boss 351 engine rated at 335 horses (yeah, net rating I know). Its plenty streetable, a known recipe, and they still couldn't match it, LOL.

I didn't bother to read the article in depth, simply because a cursory glance verified it was more of the usual from that magazine. Anyway, I do know you can get significant power out of a 351C, but it usually requires lots of compression, a bigger cam, and the big (read inefficient) heads. So I figure 320hp seems reasonable if you keep compression down and use the smaller heads with a streetable cam. :shrug:

if the magazines were serious they would do a 408 with chi or afr heads. when it comes to the windsor block it is usually a 347 stroker. give the cleveland it's proper due and it will kick ass. i'm not sure who these half-assed builds are supposed to appease.

Its just frustrating... I mean the cam in my 302 is plenty streetable and its still 218/228 @ 50 and 536/536. Thats in a little tiny motor.... the cam they ran in that thing is like 210 @ 50 and 530 aprox (dont have the mag here with me)
A much better cam (imho) would have been like about 230/240 and 562/588... still very streetable, but it would at least make some power. Not even 1hp per cubic inch is an embarrasment, if I worked for the mag, I would be ashamed to show the results.
Then they use forged slugs???? why???? So the reciprocating assy can be as heavy as possible for no reason???
:mad:
(sigh)
Its just one more classic f-up that leads to more "experts" talking about how a W is so much better than a C.

I mean look at edelbrocks own test mule for crying out loud... an additional 120 more hp. And it did it by 6K.
(read: very streetable)
Now granted the alloy heads are a big part of that, but even still, I think the fact that they know how to chose a cam has alott to do with it toooooooo.

Does anybody have an article with a good C build?

I mean I already have my parts, but I was just curious what a knowledgeable build would read like (cuz this one wasnt it.). See if there are any good insights to be had out there....

DD
:flag: :nice:

if you read the article, they state that they could have made more power with the edelbrock heads, which were NOT available at the time, and they could have made more power with the aussie 302c head, again NOT available at the time. they were stuck using the open chamber 2v heads. that engine made decent power for a mild combination, and would be a decent street motor for someone looking for a little more power than stock, remember that 351c 2v engines grossed 266hp, and this engine netted 320. as far a susing forged pistons, they are generally lighter than cast pistons, not heavier. and likely hte reason for the forged pistons was to prevent piston breakage when the motor DID detonate on them. could they have made more power, certainly, but why? that was NOT their intent, and any ford enthusiast knows that a cleveland can be made to run circles around a windsor motor.

I have a better article for the build.....

'70 351c .030 over
302c Aussie heads 59cc chamber
Hypereutectic Flat top pistons
Crane F246 Cam
Weiand X-CELerator 7516
Hooker Comp Headers
750 DP Holley 4150HP

Yea. Bet I'd whoop up on that magazines 351w ride with aluminum heads.

I've got a set of 351c 2v open chambers. They've got enough to make some decent power, but you're never gonna make power without a set of AFD, CHI, or Aussie heads. Those Edelbrock heads arent the best IMHO either. Better off with a set of 4v's.

rbohm said:
could they have made more power, certainly, but why? that was NOT their intent, and any ford enthusiast knows that a cleveland can be made to run circles around a windsor motor.

So explain their intent? I just don't understand why you would publish a half ass build. One of the worst mistakes a person can make is investing money in open chambered 2v heads in my opinion. Been there, wasted my time on that.

rbohm said:
if you read the article, they state that they could have made more power with the edelbrock heads, which were NOT available at the time, and they could have made more power with the aussie 302c head, again NOT available at the time. they were stuck using the open chamber 2v heads. that engine made decent power for a mild combination, and would be a decent street motor for someone looking for a little more power than stock, remember that 351c 2v engines grossed 266hp, and this engine netted 320. as far a susing forged pistons, they are generally lighter than cast pistons, not heavier. and likely hte reason for the forged pistons was to prevent piston breakage when the motor DID detonate on them. could they have made more power, certainly, but why? that was NOT their intent, and any ford enthusiast knows that a cleveland can be made to run circles around a windsor motor.

They were NOT stuck using the 2v, since they had 4v's sitting right there, but they chose not to use them cuz they are stoooooooopid. :D

And the only forged pistons that I have seen come in lighter than cast are real nice ross or venolia tight fit jobs for stroker motors... the usual stuff you get from TRW or Speed Pro, etc are usually boat anchors compared to a KB hyper or equivelant.

Oh fyi, cast live just fine under normal conditions (a small amount of detonation from time to time) they just dont like abuse (n2o, boost, etc...).

I still dont get the BS choice for a cam though... waaaaayyyy too small to make any decent power. I mean why waste your time converting to hyd roller, if you are not going to use the advantage of the faster ramp and longer duration under the curve?

:bang: :shrug: :mad:

DD
:nice: