Anybody using Jegs SBF aluminum heads?

steel1212

Jun 24, 2004
Frankfort, Ky
Funds are tight right now and the heads I have are garbage in my opinion. My compression with them is around 11.5-1 and it just isn't working. I would love to get some AFRs but just can't afford that right now and might be able to swing the Jegs 170 heads. They are around 800$ cheaper or so. According to my little dyno program I have with all the flow numbers and everything else I can gain from it. I would only loose about 10HP to the AFR 165s. With the 185s I think I would loose to much torque on the bottom end to compare those.

Also what are some good head gaskets I've blown 2 sets of Fel-Pros with I guess the compression?

• Sponsors (?)

Are you using head studs ? Whaqt kinda gaskets ? Are you blowing htem on the bottle ?
If a head has a higher flow number for the same size valve, it has a greater velocity. So don't be scared by the big numbers.185's are great down low also. :)

Have you blown them in the same spots. You have to check the straightness of the head. I ran stock replacement Felpros from Autozone for a long time with the turbo. I did have head studs also.

PS. How the hell ya been ?

I have studs and I think it has a lot to do with not having enough fan or a shroud and it getting hot and the heads having being shaved at some point in time.

So that is adding into me wanting to change from iron to aluminum, very low 50s compression with the heads being shaved, are the heads still warped. Basically I need new heads these aren't going to cut it.

I also need to get a electric fan instead of flex fan 4 inches from the radiation with no shroud.

I'm just trying to get into the low 12s or so NA then a 100 shot to see what happens. So do I really need to spend the extra 800 on the afrs vs the jegs?

Man I've been so buisy lately with my competitve pistol shooting, USPSA.com, that I have kind of neglected my car. Its cooling off and I was going out for a drive and same ol sheat diffrent day. I want to fix this thing and do it right so I can enjoy it.

steel1212, I just checked out the jeg's 170 heads on their site. I don't know if you realized this, but that price of $599 is for EACH head. So you're looking at $1200 for a set. You can get the AFR's around 1400, and I would probably do that since they flow better and are generally just nicer heads.

If they are 1200, then ya.185's are a better deal. I personally don't think any out of the box heads can touch them. There are things I don't like aobut them like no heli coils. But for out of the box...damn. A guys just went 8 with them and 16 psi. He says they are out of the box, but I think he had to of had at lest a spring up grade for the cam. But the meat is stock he says.

Yeah, I think that is the route I'm going to go. I'm going to drop about 2k at once on her and see where I'm at. New heads, 2800cfm electric fan, full roller rockers, and some small stuff and go beat that Chevy II's ass that keeps bugging the **** out of me.

Now, being that I'll never be lucky enough to get a Turbo installed like you folks and will have to settle for the 100 shot or so of giggle juice. Do you think with the 58cc heads and around 10-1 compression I'll be good to go?

Dustin, I'm glad to see you have your buisness up and running!