Anyone able to lend a hand possibly?

281pony

Aug 31, 2003
Oly, WA
to make my story short. i pulled my stock longblock basically, built my dss 306 on the stand, put it in. that took 4 weeks of downtime from start to finish. drove it 14 miles and got a blown head gasket from the head gasket being torqued twice :rolleyes: installing upper intake 1/2" wrench hit the oil pan now im trying to remove my timing chain cover to get the wrench out :bang: (magnetic tools didnt work, tried for 8 hours)

i would like to offer someone who knows what their doing $100 for their time/gas, ect to help me with this. it shouldnt be too much of a problem but im at the end of my rope with this car. it is my only car to drive and its been down for damn near 6 weeks now with this head gasket/engine build.

everything is off, bolts are out of the timing chain, and it wont come off. so basically just need to have someone help me pull timing chain cover off, let me run my magnet in there to get the wrench, then throw it back on.

i live in lacey, right off the freeway almost. ive got sealer, gasket adhesive, mallet, timing chain cover gasket, everything needed to do the job already. if anyone would be available asap, email me at [email protected] or my phone number is 360-412-5016 thanks alot guys

• Sponsors (?)

88SC_GT said:
everything is off, bolts are out of the timing chain, and it wont come off. so basically just need to have someone help me pull timing chain cover off, let me run my magnet in there to get the wrench, then throw it back on.

I cant tell with what you wrote if you have the cover off or not, so...
If you are having trouble pulling the cover off, make sure you pulled off the 4 oil pan bolts in front. Also, dont forget you will need to chop up a pan gasket for the front "ears" when you go to reassemble. Shouldnt be too big of a project.

i know i could be dumb, but can't you just drain the oil and then just pull the oil pan off? i haven't had a lot of experience around that area and i do have a modular, but that sounds doable

tarch said:
i know i could be dumb, but can't you just drain the oil and then just pull the oil pan off? i haven't had a lot of experience around that area and i do have a modular, but that sounds doable

You have to pull the k member....and then have the front end aligned. Not as hard as pulling the motor if you have a hoist, but you wouldnt wanna do it in the driveway:)

i got the 4 bolts from the oil pan, all the longer bolts from the waterpump, ect. i have cork to make the oil pan gaskets that are cut off, i have the timing chain cover gasket, i have sealer.

the cover is still on. it wont budge and im just sick of touching this damn car but something has to happen with it. like i said its my only car and has been down for 6 weeks now.

tried tapping it, prying, pulling, seperating with a screw driver. nothing is happening

You have the dampner off, right? It's aluminium so you dare not abuse it too much. My question is in reference to your description. If you dropped a half inch wrench in the oil galley, it's not going to fall into the pan, it's going down the intake runners to the valves. I can't see how such a large item could end up in the pan as you described.

stock50LX said:
You have the dampner off, right? It's aluminium so you dare not abuse it too much. My question is in reference to your description. If you dropped a half inch wrench in the oil galley, it's not going to fall into the pan, it's going down the intake runners to the valves. I can't see how such a large item could end up in the pan as you described.

When I wrote: "it's aluminium" I meant the timing chain cover.

88SC_GT said:
installing upper intake 1/2" wrench hit the oil pan now im trying to remove my timing chain cover to get the wrench out

But there again, if he was installing the UPPER intake, it couldnt be down a cylinder.

Can you fully explain what has occured...maybe we can be more help if you can share a bit more info. like what hole it fell down.

i had a rag over the distributor hole and it fell through there and down into the oil pan. rag had some grease on it as i found out, and the wrench weight just went right through it and fell perfectly down.

ill look at the diagram, but all the bolts are removed from the timing chain.

sorry for the brief description, just tried to keep it simple.

like i said the head gasket blew, i was finishing up the re-assembly and i had just installed my lower intake. was putting the upper on and the distributor was still out, the rag i had covering it didnt work obviously. wrench slipped off the nut i was tightening on the corner of my intake, and fell just perfect straight down.

it is definately in the oil pan. hope that makes more sense, sorry for the confusion.

yeah, 14 miles on an engine. blew head gasket, busted my ass to get it done in a day. then almost finished and the wrench falls. on my edelbrock intake there is just a stud with a nut on the front right corner. you can only use a 1/2" wrench to tighten it since the intake hangs over it. wrench slipped off that and fell straight down.

after looking at your ilustration of the timing chain cover i went out and sure enough all bolts were removed. put on my mechanic gloves again and gave it all i had and it came off.

now the problem is, i cant see the god damn wrench. :bang: i suppose this is going to screw me still and ill end up having to drop the pan. mustang ownership days and looking fewer and fewer.

thanks for all your input :nice:

88SC_GT said:
yeah, 14 miles on an engine. blew head gasket, busted my ass to get it done in a day. then almost finished and the wrench falls. on my edelbrock intake there is just a stud with a nut on the front right corner. you can only use a 1/2" wrench to tighten it since the intake hangs over it. wrench slipped off that and fell straight down.

after looking at your ilustration of the timing chain cover i went out and sure enough all bolts were removed. put on my mechanic gloves again and gave it all i had and it came off.

now the problem is, i cant see the god damn wrench. :bang: i suppose this is going to screw me still and ill end up having to drop the pan. mustang ownership days and looking fewer and fewer.

thanks for all your input :nice:

Your desciption sent me out to the garage to check my spare block. That has to be a one in a hundred drop to go all the way into the pan. Are you sure it's not stuck on top of the oil pump? The wrench should be in the front sump if it's not on the pump. You have a magnet pickup, right? You can get the thing out.

it is one in 50 million, i always seem to get ****ed with this car. this isint that first "i cant believe it" thing thats happened.

i have a magnetic tool, i cant see it, feel it or find it now. when i was running it down from the distributor i could hear it being picked up by the magnet, then that stopped so i said screw it and went to the timing chain.

now this has been removed and its just not there. i will go look again on the oil pump, but it just isint there. :(

its actually not that hard to drop something into the pan like that
same exaxct thing happened to me about a year ago but
it was a 1/2 socket attatched to a 1/4 in extension and it fell
down to my pan drove around for 6 months with it in my pan
couldnt figure out how to get it out i pulled the timming cover
off to try to get to it didnt work because socket ended up in rear sump
ended pulling pan to remove when i blew my oil pump

its not on top of the oil pump that i can tell. cant get a hand in there to feel either so who knows.

the only times ive felt it or heard it were damn near straight down the distributor hole, so its probably sitting on top of the crank im guessing? i turned the engine over by hand once, it spun fine and didnt hear anything.

im thoroughly sick of this crap, if anyone has more suggestions let me know. not in the front sump area, nothing visible, ran a magnetic extension down the left and right sides multiple times now and heard nothing. heard and felt nothing running it down the distributor hole again.

redrumracing01 said:
its actually not that hard to drop something into the pan like that
same exaxct thing happened to me about a year ago but
it was a 1/2 socket attatched to a 1/4 in extension and it fell
down to my pan drove around for 6 months with it in my pan
couldnt figure out how to get it out i pulled the timming cover
off to try to get to it didnt work because socket ended up in rear sump
ended pulling pan to remove when i blew my oil pump

well i can tell you im not lifting this engine up to get it. it will be sold before i do that.

possibly just burn it to the ground and get rid of this damn curse.