anyone build motors? i need to beat a honda.

• Sponsors (?)

why not just drop a turbo b16c with a forged stroker bottom end in a dart block with a huge front mount intercooler and turbo pushing 30 psi with methanol injection and an N2o intercooler sprayer running 110 octane race gas with hondata. then gut it and build a full tube chasis with a glass body and lexan windows. so you will have a similar combo to your competitors. and dont expect it to last long enough to get to your first oil change. then to top it all off hang a license plate on it and call it a street car.

YOU DO NOT WANT A 351W ROLLER BLOCK The late model 351W block are really no stronger then a 302W, they will split right up the middle.

If you do not want to spend the money on a DART block, you need to get a 69-74 351W or you are asking for trouble. This is coming from expierence as a engine builder.

5.0fox said:
why not just drop a turbo b16c with a forged stroker bottom end in a dart block with a huge front mount intercooler and turbo pushing 30 psi with methanol injection and an N2o intercooler sprayer running 110 octane race gas with hondata. then gut it and build a full tube chasis with a glass body and lexan windows. so you will have a similar combo to your competitors. and dont expect it to last long enough to get to your first oil change. then to top it all off hang a license plate on it and call it a street car.

Almost sounds like my car..lol 91Gt, 25.5 chassis, 1xxxhp+, tagged, BFG Radials..

well if i get a 69-74 351w all i need is the harness and the computor to make it fuel injected right? i can use a 69-74 block and put on an aftermarket intake and what not for later model efi? im trying to stay away from carbs b/c i dont know much about them.

thanks

gojonnygo said:
well if i get a 69-74 351w all i need is the harness and the computor to make it fuel injected right? i can use a 69-74 block and put on an aftermarket intake and what not for later model efi? im trying to stay away from carbs b/c i dont know much about them.

thanks

Good to hear! Carbs are gross! A little Neanderthal in my opinion.

For all the parts it may be easier to get a donor car. Then again you can piece all of the components together if you know what to look for. I think if I were to start building a car I would just make sure that whatever car you buy has a decent body (the torque boxes are intact) and it has a MAF V8. This will get you just about everything you need to get started. Think of the rest as icing on the cake. The lower intake and oil pan are different on the 351w but the heads timing cover and front accessories are pretty much able to fit with small changes. The swap sticky has great detail on this.

the car i have has a decent body. the junk yard around here wants 150 for a motor and harness hopefully i can find one in those years. so the 69-74 blocks are the same as the later efi blocks right?

thanks

gojonnygo said:
the car i have has a decent body. the junk yard around here wants 150 for a motor and harness hopefully i can find one in those years. so the 69-74 blocks are the same as the later efi blocks right?

thanks

69-74 is better because of higher nickel content and thicker mains, making it stronger. The later blocks (don't know what years) were roller blocks, but by most accounts are weak. If you are building a somewhat serious motor get the 69-74 block. If you really want to run rollers, then convert the older block to rollers. It is not hard to do.

150 for the motor and wiring harness is a screaming deal!!!

Yes the intake will fit just fine, along with the heads etc. You'll need to run linked bar lifters to stay with a reg base circle cam. Personally I would go soild or mechanical roller cam... All the EFI stuff will hook up just fine ;) You will need rails..

69-70 is a 9.48" deck height
71-+ is a 9.503" deck height

You need to keep that in mnd when buying internals if you plan to build this yourself

Well I will try to be civic about this. Im sure I will get some smart ass remarks and useless rubbish that no one wants to read. I stumbled upon this thread and found it a shame that people are so misinformed about imports. I own a import but am a fan of all cars in general. I read mustang magazines and like to keep up with the scene as a whole. So maybe you all will just hear me out. If you have a useless comment to my post, just do me and everyone else a favor and just dont type it. This post is not meant to start a pissing contest, I thought I would just share actual information.

There are many hondas and imports that make "lots" (lots is a very flexible word) of power and are daily driven. My tuner in fact dyno'd his civic (full interior, only thing missing is AC) at 480whp. Althought he does not drive it everyday (has a nicer daily driver he drives) its is streetable and comes out often. This car should make tens this season. It ran mid 11's last with almost half the horsepower. Remember that most serious drag race hondas wieigh in sub 2000 lbs. Physics should tell you all that soemthing weighing less doesnt need as much power to get it going quicker.

I could show you link after link after link of cars that make huger power and are reliable. There are so many hondas (alot of rice which is really a shame) that cover up the good cars. I agree with most of you that there are alot of ****tards that ruin it for the import community and make everyone think we all like maxwell coffee can exhausts, UFO lights, and lambo doors. Fact is, if you really get into the import group and look around, you will see that most of us dont. We like going fast like you. Same can be said about domestic drivers. There is a common misconception that you are all mullet hillbillies. While we all know that is not true, just like the ricers, its still there. I think everyone needs to become a little more open minded and do a little more research before they are so fast to talk bad about another car. You might be surprised one day when a little ricer burner pulls up to you and whores you.

Dont_be_an_a$$ said:
Well I will try to be civic about this. Im sure I will get some smart ass remarks and useless rubbish that no one wants to read. I stumbled upon this thread and found it a shame that people are so misinformed about imports. I own a import but am a fan of all cars in general. I read mustang magazines and like to keep up with the scene as a whole. So maybe you all will just hear me out. If you have a useless comment to my post, just do me and everyone else a favor and just dont type it. This post is not meant to start a pissing contest, I thought I would just share actual information.

There are many hondas and imports that make "lots" (lots is a very flexible word) of power and are daily driven. My tuner in fact dyno'd his civic (full interior, only thing missing is AC) at 480whp. Althought he does not drive it everyday (has a nicer daily driver he drives) its is streetable and comes out often. This car should make tens this season. It ran mid 11's last with almost half the horsepower. Remember that most serious drag race hondas wieigh in sub 2000 lbs. Physics should tell you all that soemthing weighing less doesnt need as much power to get it going quicker.

I could show you link after link after link of cars that make huger power and are reliable. There are so many hondas (alot of rice which is really a shame) that cover up the good cars. I agree with most of you that there are alot of ****tards that ruin it for the import community and make everyone think we all like maxwell coffee can exhausts, UFO lights, and lambo doors. Fact is, if you really get into the import group and look around, you will see that most of us dont. We like going fast like you. Same can be said about domestic drivers. There is a common misconception that you are all mullet hillbillies. While we all know that is not true, just like the ricers, its still there. I think everyone needs to become a little more open minded and do a little more research before they are so fast to talk bad about another car. You might be surprised one day when a little ricer burner pulls up to you and whores you.

I don't think that anyone disputes the existance of a "fast import". Thing is, it's like finding a diamond in the rough! The mountains of crap that need be waded through in order to find that rare street light warrior, I tend to liken to crossing all the hills that must me climbed before reaching the summit of Everest. I wish I had a dollar for every time I was told that Import X was a 10 second street car only to discover that his mods include a set of Bosch Platimums and a picnic table bolted to the hatch. Your battle/arguement is not with us, it's within. A forum like this one is pretty harsh on trolls (meaning wannabe domestics with nothing to show for mods other than a Saleen wing and inducted cowl) but they seem to run unchecked in the import forums. Were I to get my ass handed to me by someone driving an import, I'd shake his hand or at minimum render the appropriate nod. The thing is... That's not happened yet and what worse is that my car doesn't even come close to what the standard is for power and traction around here. In other words: Your time would be better spent attempting to educate your own. Most here love cars and are on constant vigil to get a glimplse of that "Yetti" import that we see mostly and almost exclusively on T.V.

Cheers! :)

Daggar said:
I don't think that anyone disputes the existance of a "fast import". Thing is, it's like finding a diamond in the rough! The mountains of crap that need be waded through in order to find that rare street light warrior, I tend to liken to crossing all the hills that must me climbed before reaching the summit of Everest. I wish I had a dollar for every time I was told that Import X was a 10 second street car only to discover that his mods include a set of Bosch Platimums and a picnic table bolted to the hatch. Your battle/arguement is not with us, it's within. A forum like this one is pretty harsh on trolls (meaning wannabe domestics with nothing to show for mods other than a Saleen wing and inducted cowl) but they seem to run unchecked in the import forums. Were I to get my ass handed to me by someone driving an import, I'd shake his hand or at minimum render the appropriate nod. The thing is... That's not happened yet and what worse is that my car doesn't even come close to what the standard is for power and traction around here. In other words: Your time would be better spent attempting to educate your own. Most here love cars and are on constant vigil to get a glimplse of that "Yetti" import that we see mostly and almost exclusively on T.V.

Cheers! :)

Oh I agree with you that there are alot of imports that are crap. They think their stickers and lights give them 10392321 hp. At the same time, I know here locally that there are many domestic cars think they are crazy fast when they are stock. I must admit that alot of domestics are "quick" stock but nothing like alot of people make them out to be.

Im interested in what forums you read where "rice" goes unchecked? There are some boards that I dont read that are full of crap like that, but the ones I frequent will bash anyone coming on and wanting lambo doors and new greddy stickers. Most cars on the boards I attend appear stock but usually pack a pretty good punch.

I have yet to see a domestic car localy that is 10 seconds fast on the street. I know they are out but I have never personally seen one running around. Finding cars on the street all the time is pretty rare (at least for a town my size).

Either way I just found this thread somewhat sad that some people were misinformed about imports. Read the first page of this thread and you can see all the doubt that there could be a high horsepower honda daily driven.

Also I agree that it is sad that the media has given imports such that bad wrap. Alot of imports are all about show and guady ****, but not all. Go on honda-tech in the forced induction area and you will see many very fast, and knowledgable people. Granted that the site is very big and there are alot of morons (as there would be with any board of that size), but you might also see the "better" side of the import world.

I guess I'm really fighting a lost cause as a whole. I have seen videos of car in houston and domestics and imports all cruise together. I know locally it is like the biggest pissing match that ever appeared.

IM glad to see for the most part this board is somewhat mature about it. I just wanted to share my view on it, and maybe change a few views on the import scene.

On another note a buddy of mine is boosting his stang. The car has been in building for a couple years now but should be pretty rowdy when it gets complete. Ill have to have him or myself post some pics when it is done.

Lata

PS dbeck: there are posts in this thread that are only a little over a month old. the thread is not anctient. Like I said in my first post, if you have nothing constructive, please dont post. It just wates bandwidth.

Dbeck002 said:
lol N/A low 10s? Your asking for some crazy setup that isnt streetable...

best way i can think is a 460 BB with 10.5:1 compression on 93 octane and a 6000 RPM cam... Then again that wouldnt be too streetable either. hmmm :nonono:

LOL.....

gojonnygo said:
im not looking for 700 hp. im just looking for mid- low 10s. and it doesnt have to be streetable. i was trying to stay away from a 460 b/c parts are cheaper and easier to find for a 351.

They aren't expensive. 460 parts are just sometimes a little hard to find because of all the design changes through the years.

Just saying from experience..........