Anyone changed the abs sensor, any problems?

drakesdad

Jul 29, 2005
Oregon OHIO
When we put my 373's in I broke the abs sensor. I purchased one the next day but havn't had the time to put it in, I think I'll do it tonight. Anyone run into any problems or have any helpful tips?
Thanks,
Will

• Sponsors (?)

I replaced both rears when I did the gear swap (they snapped off when I tried to remove them so the axles could slide out). Besides the sensors themselves being somewhat expensive, the install is easy. One bolt holds the sensor to the axle, then a wiring harness goes up through a rubber grommet through the floorboard, then to a plug connector under the back seat. The new sensors come with the wiring harness so all you need to do is unbolt and unplug the old ones and put in the new ones. Good luck :flag:

I found out its better to just smack them with a hammer then try and go easy on them. Like i said i just did the one front one cause the other one i just wacked it and it came out. Not sure it the rears are installed different though.

I think that people should know the trick we did when we put in the gears.

Since the sensor would not come out, we just used a dremel to put a notch on the inside of the axel so we could get that extra 1/8" of clearance. Didn't harm anything and the sensor stayed in. :)

Kevin R. said:
I think that people should know the trick we did when we put in the gears.

Since the sensor would not come out, we just used a dremel to put a notch on the inside of the axel so we could get that extra 1/8" of clearance. Didn't harm anything and the sensor stayed in. :)
Would that put the axels out of balance? Notice any vibrations since?

BTW, when I installed the new ones, I think the hardest part was threading that rubber grommet up into the body opening (you gotta pull your rear seat bottom). But even that was easy.

I did dremel out the inside of the opening that the ABS sensor fits through. It corrodes, and that is what locks the sensor in, and causes breaking. And hoping to at least delay the return of corrosion, I coated that cleaned surface with antiseize.

My rear anti lock brake sensor just broke on my car also, and you need a female torx bit to remove the sensor. Does anyone happen to know what size I will need because I don't have any female torx bits and don't feel like buying an entire set of them, so please let me know if you happen to know what size is needed to change this.

My rear anti lock brake sensor just broke on my car also, and you need a female torx bit to remove the sensor. Does anyone happen to know what size I will need because I don't have any female torx bits and don't feel like buying an entire set of them, so please let me know if you happen to know what size is needed to change this.

A small socket fit on mine.