Anyone convert to FiTech or Holley Sniper.. what was really involved in the swap ?

1995COBRA

Founding Member
Nov 1, 2000
Alamo, Tx.
Hello All, I recently did a fresh-up on my '95 Cobra, with the addition of a B-303. And ofcourse, as we all know the '94-'95 computers suck B*LLS (tuning wise).., so I am at the point where I want to convert to a FiTech or Holler Sniper EFI unit. Me being a nostalgic CARB kinda of guy, I think the look and transformation will be fun, LOL.

Besides swapping the intake, and wiring issues, what exactly was involved in the swap ? Can I use the stock in tank fuel pump ? Same dizzy ?, etc....

Thanks for everyone's input :)

Leo

• Sponsors (?)

An easier option from a tune it yourself standpoint would be something like the Stinger Pimpx ecu it will plug right in to the harness where the factory ECU was. Fitech and the Sniper are essentially glorified TBI setups.
If you are dead set on running one or the other i suggest the holley.

Reactions: 1 user
Just as many sensors, IAT, ECT, TPS, MAP, are the minimum required for an EFI engine. The EEC v adds some things for emissions and MAF, BARO sensors.
Then you will need to have all the sensors that run to the dash if they are not shared with the ECU.

If they are shared with the ECU you will need to keep them in place power them so they provide feedback for the instrument cluster AND add the stuff the FItech or sniper needs.

And ofcourse, as we all know the '94-'95 computers suck B*LLS (tuning wise)

I'd completely disagree with this premise which is based on nothing but word-of-mouth from ignorant folks who want a computer that's so sloppy in its engine management that you can swap in a radical cam and it still runs 'ok.' It's an excellent computer (much faster and capable than the Fox units) and is easy to tune with the right software and a little know-how, and can be adjusted to support exotic engine modifications while still maintaining emissions. It's also the shortest and least expensive way to get the job done (even if you pay someone else to do it).

Unless you're looking to build a hard-core race-car, re-fitting a fully tuneable multi-port injected engine with a TBI is wasteful ($$) and counter-productive. Those things are great to bring a carbureted car into the 21st century, but you're going backwards when you're already ready to rock.

Free country, your car, your $ of course, I'd just think about it a bit more.

Edit: If you do go down this path, here's some good reading on using your existing distributor / ignition system as well as some of the related bits & pieces you might need. It's for a '93 but most of the information holds true for the 94-95. https://forums.holley.com/showthread.php?21962-Holley-HP-EFI-for-93-Mustang-stupid-newb-questions

Last edited:
I'd completely disagree with this premise which is based on nothing but word-of-mouth from ignorant folks who want a computer that's so sloppy in its engine management that you can swap in a radical cam and it still runs 'ok.' It's an excellent computer (much faster and capable than the Fox units) and is easy to tune with the right software and a little know-how, and can be adjusted to support exotic engine modifications while still maintaining emissions. It's also the shortest and least expensive way to get the job done (even if you pay someone else to do it).

Unless you're looking to build a hard-core race-car, re-fitting a fully tuneable multi-port injected engine with a TBI is wasteful ($$) and counter-productive. Those things are great to bring a carbureted car into the 21st century, but you're going backwards when you're already ready to rock.

Free country, your car, your $ of course, I'd just think about it a bit more.

Actually...YES....it is my choice and $ :D. But you are entitled to your own opinion about their cpus., I just have a different outlook, thats all. But ALL, and I mean ALL people and friends that I know have swapped out cams, mods, etc...., they usually do Mega or some other cpu mods, but not the stocker. Plus, a mega cpu kit is just as much as a CARB swap..., and the carb swap, I think IMO, looks cool :).

Plus, this is my daily driver, have fun, project Cobra..... I have another 95 Cobra that is a "hard top" vert., with only 14,000 miles..., so going backwards is not a problem for me, LOL

If you check @1995COBRA I did edit after I posted (and used the word EDIT) but 8 minutes before you responded (so not 'after the fact') because I took a moment to google it -- because I was interested if you could actually keep your TFI. It's still a good link, you're welcomed.

Next time, realize when you post a question you'll get feedback you may or may not like, and if you're spreading myth folks may even respond for the benefit of others who might come across this thread. That, and a little gratitude when someone takes a moment to respond even if you don't care for their viewpoint, typically gives you better results. Cheers.

• Agree
Maybe you need to give us the answers you want to hear. If you choose to go the 'self tuning' tbi road good on ya. I think you will not get alot of support here not because the system is not good but because most members here can deal with the ecm that come in these cars and they work quite well, those that need more adjustability step up to ms or similar systems. So respect the opinions given even if they don't jive with yours.

Maybe you need to give us the answers you want to hear...

I just need someone that has actually done the conversion, to reply (if any)., not someone who gives suggestions on issues that are not related to the question asked..... But yes, I do understand your point. I will try posting on other forums, where there is a much more knowledgeable group base on the subject at hand.

One guy that had the Fi tech on here. He wasn’t a big fan. I know Matt converted his II from carb to the atomic efi ,said it was an ok update lol. The Holley system would be my vote,and I know you said if you haven’t done the conversion don’t answer-but I did anyways lol. Fwiw I have a letter cam and a stock Ecu. Doing the base idle reset worked wonders for me