Anyone Else Running 235/40/18's On Their Fox?

I took a quick measurement and looks like my rims are 10". Guess I'm in the market for wheels and tires now since I don't think putting bigger tires on my 10" wheels will look right on a fox. They will stick out too far. Now I need to find the ideal wheel/tire combo with a fox lowered 2". I would like to stay with 18s vs. going to 17s.

I always though my tires looked odd and I guess they guy would owned it before me didn't do any sort of research
9" wide rims measure 10" wide total out-out. 9" measures from inside bead to inside bead.

• Sponsors (?)

It seems that a pretty common rim to run on a fox is a 17" x 9" so my current 18" x 9" wheels should be no different in terms of width on the front. My real issue is the way my tires look on these rims. Rims stick out much further than the tire and annoys me every time I see it.

I think I'm down to 3 options:

1. Sell my 18x9s and buy 18x8s for the front and 18x9s for the rear (might get a different style of wheel). I like the staggered look too. But I'm also back to the tire size game to make sure my tires don't rub. I really don't want to start modifying fenders and replacing parts etc. My current 235/40/18s don't rub at all and the stance is pretty good with the 2" drop.

2. Abandon the 18's and go with 17's. I have a 4 lug setup and my wheel options are limited when I get in the 18" range. In fact, I can't even find the wheels I have now on the interwebs. I would still probably go with the staggered setup so I guess that means 17x8s for the front and 17x9s for the rear? Nicer ride with the 17s?

3. Keep rims and replace my Nitto NeoGens with a different tire. I know the Neo's are narrower than most. I've had these on a few cars. Everyone knocks the Sumitomo's but the newest tire- HTR Z III got pretty good reviews. Nitto also has another model that doesn't look as narrow. This would hopefully address the rims being wider than the tires, but I'm guessing the rubber on the front will stick out a little further to match the rim.

Also in the back of my mind is a 235/40 too wide for a front tire?

Any opinions would be great. My mind changes on this pretty regularly....

I guess first question is what are the wheel dimensions? If you take a wheel off, it's usually stamped with the dimensions in the back of a spoke. 18x8 or 18x9 or even 10"

That will make a huge difference in tire selection

have you seen any 4 lug 18" wheels anywhere? Didn't seem to be very easy to find.
There is only a couple different 4 lug 18" wheels on the wheelreplica's site (saleen SC wheels is one of them). I think ROH makes one too. There is a lot more options once you go 5 lug but that's money to do that. Trust me the benefits of converting to 5 lug is worth every penny. I'll do some looking around to see what I find in the 18" range in 4 lug.

There is only a couple different 4 lug 18" wheels on the wheelreplica's site (saleen SC wheels is one of them). I think ROH makes one too. There is a lot more options once you go 5 lug but that's money to do that. Trust me the benefits of converting to 5 lug is worth every penny. I'll do some looking around to see what I find in the 18" range in 4 lug.

Great, thanks!

Yes, going to 17" was option #2 on my list of 3 options. I probably won't upgrade to 5 lug in the near future. Have a few other things I'd like to do first.
You should have room to fit a 245 width tire up front. Heck, when I ran my 17x9 03' Cobra reps I had a 255/40 Nitto tire up front with minimal rubbing up front. Only time it rubbed was in reverse and steering wheel at full turn. You need to look in to a tires section width and tread width when deciding on size. My BFG Sport Comp 2's run wider than others. So basically my BFG 235 tire up front is nearly as wide as a Nitto 245 tire. I would jack your car up in the front with the jack under the control arm to compress the suspension while lifting the car up and look at the rim/tire clearance in relation to the strut.

What size tire do you have on rear wheels?

You should have room to fit a 245 width tire up front. Heck, when I ran my 17x9 03' Cobra reps I had a 255/40 Nitto tire up front with minimal rubbing up front. Only time it rubbed was in reverse and steering wheel at full turn. You need to look in to a tires section width and tread width when deciding on size. My BFG Sport Comp 2's run wider than others. So basically my BFG 235 tire up front is nearly as wide as a Nitto 245 tire. I would jack your car up in the front with the jack under the control arm to compress the suspension while lifting the car up and look at the rim/tire clearance in relation to the strut.

What size tire do you have on rear wheels?

I have 18x9s with 235/40s all the way around. I posted some earlier pics on this that shows my rims protruding more than the Nitto's. Don't really like the way it looks. Maybe a different brand tire would be better or 8" wheels in the front.