Anyone else sporting Linksys products like me?

I use D-Link at home: wi-fi router and wi-fi repeater. I've still got the original cable modem I got 6 years ago AND it still performs great. I've got 4Mb cable Internet now (usually tests at 3.9Mb), but Comcast is supposed to go to 6Mb later this year (no extra charges for speed upgrades).

I use both D-Link and Linksys at work for wireless, but Cisco for all wired equipment. D-Link and Netgear for print servers.

When I first got into wireless, D-Link was the only option for my needs because their software allowed for significant configuration changes, whereas other brands had hardly any options or security settings. Now that has all changed.

I like Linksys at work, however, I have yet to have a single issue with a D-Link product. Maybe I'm just lucky. D-Links new switches are pretty awesome for the price.

Oh yeah, my job is mostly installing, maintaining, securing, and troubleshooting this stuff, so I get to play around a lot. :) Currently, I'm doing VPN which is a whole nother game altogether, but fun.

• Sponsors (?)

For home wireless users:

1. Change the default name of your SSID, preferable to something rather obscure like a series of numbers and letters or characters.

2. Create a new Admin password. Do not leave the default in place (which is usually blank).

3. Find a setting to "disable broadcast." This hides your SSID, so that visitors won't be able to see your signal. Wi-Fi finders will pick up the signal, but you'll not discover the SSID. WEP should be used as well. This won't degrade your signal significantly. I go a step further at home and add another layer by only allowing specific MAC addresses to access my network.

Car Nut said:
For home wireless users:

1. Change the default name of your SSID, preferable to something rather obscure like a series of numbers and letters or characters.

2. Create a new Admin password. Do not leave the default in place (which is usually blank).

3. Find a setting to "disable broadcast." This hides your SSID, so that visitors won't be able to see your signal. Wi-Fi finders will pick up the signal, but you'll not discover the SSID. WEP should be used as well. This won't degrade your signal significantly. I go a step further at home and add another layer by only allowing specific MAC addresses to access my network.

Good advice, I'll keep that in mind if I ever need to set up a secure wireless network. I always enable WEP, but I only sometimes change the SSID. I didn't now about the "disable broadcast" option, that's pretty cool.

And the default name/password on all lynksys stuff either root or blank for the name, and admin for the password. :D

I got

Thermaltake Tsunami Case
P4 3.2
MSI Motherboard
Ultra X-Connect 500W Power Supply
1 gig Corsair XMS ram
Western Digital Raptor 74 HD (10,000rpm)
Vantec HD cooler
Geforce 6600GT
Sony DVD Rom
HP Lightscribe DVD-RW
ATI TV Wonder Pro
Santa Cruz Sound Card
Logitech Cordless Desktop LX700
Logitech Z680 5.1 505 Watt RMS Speakers
Samsung 19" 1000:1 monitor

Dustin