Anyone ever have their hood unlatch at high speed?

danny04GT

Jun 10, 2004
Phoenix
This morning on the way to work my hood unlatched itself. I had a bit of open highway and decided to stomp on the gas a little. Once I hit about 120, my hood unlatched. It didnt fly open and smash the windshield or anything, but it was as if someone popped the hood. It started bouncing up and down and making alot of noise.

I immediately pulled over and slammed the hood closed. It stayed closed the rest of the way to work. I havent been under the hood in about a week, and I drive 70 miles on the freeway daily, so I know its not that i didn't close the hood properly. Any one every have this happen? Any suggestions ?

• Sponsors (?)

nope. just close it and if it happens again, close it again. maybe someone is secretly trying to steal your pi heads. do you have a jealous neighbor down the street without pi heads? :jaw:

I've got to slam the **** out of my 02 GTs hood to get the thing to latch properly. Maybe yours just wasn't quite latched.

There's pretty significant aero forces on the hood at high speeds. Good thing the secondary latch caught it...

I have never had a problem with the hood closing before. I always lift on the hood after closing it to make sure it "caught". I'll check it out when I get home tonight.

Sure scared the crap out of me thinking it might fly open at 120 though.

I spent about a half hour trying to get my hood to close at the track one night.. then after i got it latched they wouldnt let me run because they thought it was going to fly off.. just took it off and put it in the back of the bathrooms and raced all night lol

YES!! It happened to me this past spring,except mine actually came off and caused this damage:
57788.jpg

57789.jpg

57790.jpg

57791.jpg

I was only travelling 70 mph.

^ Holy crap that would suck. I can't believe it tore your hood hinges right out. These threads give me nightmares and you even had a stock hood. Want would it have been like if you would have had a convertible?:eek: