anyone ever powder coat pony wheels?

• Sponsors (?)

My buddy got one of those kits...the catch is that you have to bake whatever you coat so i hope you have an oven you can fit a 16 inch rim into...and i wouldn't use the one you bake food in.

Well If I can get a hold of some chrome pony wheel center caps I might be able to powdercoat them if they are metal, which you would think the would be. Does anyone know if there are some type of metel center caps for the pony wheels (aftermarket or factory)
If not what color do you think would go good with a xtream chrome powdercoated pony wheel, I'm thinking black or a gun metal gray.....suggestions??
thanks
jason

Why do we take the hard way on the center cap issue. Why dont you get a color that you can match with paint and just spray the suckers. If its a custom color then have a paint shop make you a quart and then paint them.

Allen

That is not what I am asking I am asking if there are some metal center caps for a 16inch pony wheel, or what color would go good together with a xtream chrome powdercoat? The reason we do things the hard way is because sometimes what you want to do is not easy but we have the right as americans to have it our way:)

DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT, paint the pony rims with just spray paint, as soon as you try to take the center cap off all the paint will crack and look like a spider web, wish this past was here when i painted mine, ford must have used clearcoat?

DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT, paint the pony rims with just spray paint, as soon as you try to take the center cap off all the paint will crack and look like a spider web, wish this past was here when i painted mine, ford must have used clearcoat?

I'd say they used more like regular automotive paint and it probably got some kind of baking and then clear coat. It's pretty tough stuff.

I'd say they used more like regular automotive paint and it probably got some kind of baking and then clear coat. It's pretty tough stuff.

Yes, automotive paint in a good gun FTW!! Too much clear will also result in cracking. Two coats of clear is good enough.

Also, to the post above yours, just get a 45* or 90* pick hook and use that. Pony wheels caps come off very easy. Now my 97 Cobra wheel caps are an act of congress!!! I hate taking the caps off, you have to pry around the entire wheel, not just in the little notch.

For the rims make sure the prep is done well, I recommend sand blasting.

As for the center caps, you have to paint them.

My pony's have been powdercoated for 6 years on my daily driver, I have three that were preped well and they have held up great. I have one that did not get the same prep and you can tell, the coating has fractured and flaked off in the areas where it did'nt get blasted as well.