anyone ever replace inner pinion bearing races in housing

rockyracoon

10 Year Member
Nov 23, 2005
margate NJ
Im gonna swap out the inner pinion bearing and see if thats the cause of the whine im having,but I dont want to use the old race with the new bearing,is it possible to get the race out and back in, with the housing still in the car?

• Sponsors (?)

The pinion will have to come out to get the race out. and I am sure you know that the carrier has to come out for that. Other than that, you can do it with the rear end in the car. Just get everything apart and use a punch from the front side where the pinion shaft comes through the housing. You will see two spots(one on each side of the race, exactly opposite sides of the circle) where you can place a punch and tap out with a hammer. It is pretty easily done.

maybe with a brass drift punch, working it on opposite sides to work it out. getting the new one in might be trickier to get in their straight. just be careful not to gouge it. i would definetly put new races in it if you are putting new bearings in it. and you have a new crush sleeve correct?

I just did it day before yesterday. I used a half inch socket extension to beat them in and out. I wouldn't recommend brass because it will chip apart. Those races are a lot harder then a socket extension I doubt if they would chip or break. It wasn't a plated extension though just steel. I did this with the inner and outer races with no problem using a three or for pound hammer.

Ok I just got mine out,now I have to wait for my master install kit to arrive but it looks like it going to be a realPITA to get the races back in ,especially layin on the ground in my garage.Anyone have any tricks to reinstall the races? I was thinking about putting an old bearing inside the new races and tapping on the bearing with a pipe or something.