Anyone ever replace instrument cluster bulbs (194) with LED style??

• Sponsors (?)

i had to stop lurking to give you an answer. you can get them at 2 places that i know of. im actually redoing my cluster right now with a speedhut kit. i replaced all of the lighting with LEDS. even though i dont require backlighting for anything but the needles im using them regardless.

i decided to use blue LEDS for the regular backlighting and red LEDS for the needle lights and blinkers. im also in the process of using a dremel on the back of the needles to remove the white paint and using a bright red enamel to make the speedhut kit match my autometer tach.

i got the backlighting at the same time as my guages at... www.speedhut.com

you can also get any replacement bulb you can think of as an LED that you want from...
www.superbrightleds.com

i bought a bunch of their LEDS for replacing my tail light bulbs as well. i thought it would be easier than the LED panels some have been using around here. not to mention i think it will be better protected if my lens starts letting condensation in on occasion. good luck.

I thought that I've read from many that LED bulbs in the tail lights and blinkers dont give off a good glowing effect to illuminate the are that they are mounted in. The LEDs are more concentrated light

slvr302 said:
I thought that I've read from many that LED bulbs in the tail lights and blinkers dont give off a good glowing effect to illuminate the are that they are mounted in. The LEDs are more concentrated light

well i have heard this as well. for tail lights they offer different types that i believe will resolve that issue. they offer one with 12 LEDS on the light. you can select a wide angle of light for example a brake light and a narrow that would probably best suited for a blinker. they also offer a 19 LED's version as well to make it even brighter. i will NOT put LEDS in the front at all due to the fact that all of my lenses are clear and the LED "bulbs" should only be the same color as the lens.

one of my stangs has LX lenses and the other has 93 cobra lenses i will try and get some pics up for you guys on both when its done. however this will be weeks away due to other parts right now that have priority over the lights hehe.

since my headliner is from a 93 and my "fobra" is an 87 i dont have interior lights at the moment. my friends and i are kicking around an idea to strategically place about 5-6 LEDS in the interior for lighting. i was thinking 2 on the rearview out of sight and 2 right under the dash and possible 2 in the hatch area for when im loading something in the back.

i think it was a curse to even come across that superbrightleds.com site because now im swapping any bulbs i can for LEDS. its becoming expensive to say the least. :nonono: