anyone ever tried...

02GTRX

I told an admin to shut up...now I live with the S
Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Sep 27, 2004
...Getting the ball rolling on building their own 1/4mile track? Or have a rough estimate of how much it would cost to build one? How hard do you guys think it would be to acquire permits and funding for something like that?

• Sponsors (?)

i could only imagine the insurance coverage you'd need then to get your own staff and all the permits/approvals to build. Then the standby emergency crew. Still a good question but I know you'd need alot of money up front.

I always said if I ever got rich I'd build my own. But it'd be a private track for my friends and family and I. I probably would rent it out to car clubs also. But again, money wouldn't matter if I got to that point, so the extra insurance wouldn't be a problem.

But yeah, insurance is what will kill you.

Waivers are never iron-clad. There's always a lawyer who can get around them. Plus, heavy insurance would just be a requirement for the city/county/state to allow it.

Plus, you'd feel terrible if someone came out and raced, got seriously injured, and had no insurance. The family would come to you and you'd be able to do nothing about it.

I used to be the Vice President at a track in Wa State. Insurance will run you about $100,000 a year. If you can find a airport with a back-up runway it will save you a bunch of money if you can convince the Port of **** to lease it to you for $4,000 a weekend. The zoning will help you obtain a business license because airports already make noise. Then set-up the race track as a not-for-profit orginazation (car club) to reduce your hired help people related expenses. I had 32 people in our club and only 3 paid employees. The timing equipment will cost about $75,000, support vehicles and equipment $25,000, fire department on site cost $12,000 a year. The other option is to build one on Native American land on a 99 year lease, you can eliminate most of the red tape with permits and zoning.