Anyone ever use one of those Auxillary Trans Filters with an AOD?

TheBocSez

Feb 3, 2004
Converse, TX
Like the title says, Has anyone used one of those auxillary transmission filter kits where the tranny fluid is filtered through an oil filter?

If so, what are your opinions?

Figured it probably does filter better than the stock screen type filter and should add about 1/2 to 1qt additional fluid capicity. Plus it would make changing the filter easier and since I have a pan with a drain plug, I could almost do a fluid change without dropping the pan.

Wada ya think?

• Sponsors (?)

I added a Carquest auxillary filter to several of my vehicles, a couple C4's, and a C6. Have not done it on an AOD. But it was one of the best things I added. It cleaned out the remaining particles out of the C6, which destroyed a stator support and filled the oil with metal powder. Shifted great for 4 years after the rebuild.

I have them on both of my C4 Fox cars.

These are small, plastic disposable units, that you just splice into the cooler line leaving the cooler.

RD, are you talkin about the Magnefine filters (I dont know if they get repackaged)?

TBS, I've also wondered about the remote mount filters (they're pretty cheap). So bump for info.

Mopar 1, are there any worries about pressure drop or volume restriction? How long is your filter change interval? What flavor kit do you use (I havent looked in some time, but I thought I recalled a couple in the same price range)?

Sorry for the 20 questions - TBS might be interested too.
I can think of a couple of cars in the family that could benefit from one of these...........

HISSIN50 said:
Mopar 1, are there any worries about pressure drop or volume restriction? How long is your filter change interval? What flavor kit do you use (I havent looked in some time, but I thought I recalled a couple in the same price range)?

Sorry for the 20 questions - TBS might be interested too.
I can think of a couple of cars in the family that could benefit from one of these...........

-I want to say I used the Summit RF Kit. It's been a few years.

-I never was concerned with any pressure drop when mounting the remote filter. There is probably more drop from a tranny cooler.:shrug: The Mustang was my daily driver for a couple of years.

-I have changed the remote filter maybe 3-4 times total. I figured it didnt need to be changed as often as say a regular engine oil change. Whether that is right or wrong, it was my call. I have never raced the stang, so I wasnt beating the crap out of the tranny. BTW it still has Mobile 1 Synthetic tranny fluid in it.

Besides the AOD will be swapped out early next year for a t-5. All new parts execpt for the pedal assembly.:D

Mopar1 said:
OT- I just noticed I only have 25 post since 2002. I should be charged with "Felony Lurking".:jaw:
:rlaugh: Between the two of us, we're doing ok average-post wise. :)

Thanks for the info. I was thinking something like a filter change every 12K-15K would probably suffice, but since I didn't know firsthand..............

I would surmise the system can bypass if there's enough pressure-delta anyhow.

I've used a Magnefine filter before (cramped engine compartment and easy to install) but might have to try one of the remote kits out. :nice:

Thanks for the info/feedback. :nice: And good luck with the swap.

Man, Im going to have to get Hissin50 and Mopar1 involved in more of my threads, between the 2 of you , you have asked and answered all of the questions I had.

I looked in summit and they have thier kit for 30.00. The PermaCool brand is 35.00. Both use a FL1A or FL173A for tight fits. The installation instructons are a PDF file at the bottom of page. I think Im going to go ahead and do it.

http://store.summitracing.com/partd...UM-G4980&N=4294847345+400304+115&autoview=sku