Anyone have squeaky throwout bearings??

Mrk94GT

Founding Member
Jun 21, 2002
Illinois
Hey Guys,

I put in an aftermarket clutch a couple months ago, and since day one the thing has had a squeaky throwout bearings. I replaced the old bearing with a new one upon installation. The clutch is a King Cobra diaphram and I believe a Mcleod clutch disc. Its annoying and I feel like I'm driving uncle bucks car when Idling at a stoplight. Will this have any long term consequences, for example an exploding bearing or increased clutch wear???

• Sponsors (?)

After 2k miles, I am about to replace mine for the 3rd time. I hate TOBs and having to install them. I am getting to good at changing them. I think that if I ever get it adjusted right, it might last a little longer.

Paul

Did you remember to put some wheel bearing grease on the outside edge when you installed the throwout bearing? If you didn't, that would certainly do it! BTW, I have put 1000k miles on my car since the clutch install, and so far, not a peep.
Scott

I replaced mine during my motor swap...I even put in a "plastic" Napa replacement, I said screw it and tryed it....that was 3k ago and still nada...I think the lubing mentioned above could be the culprit???
My old 71 T/A ate those things like crazy...hate that freakin noise... :bang

Did you do the pilot shaft bearing at the same time?? Just curious...