Anyone have the hardened input shaft from performance automotive?

NEEDA5.0

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2002
Is this necessary? The cars in the shop and the guy said this piece broke.

http://www.transmissioncenter.net/aode.htm

#6. Extreme Duty extra hard intermediate shaft for AODE / 4R70W / A O Dominator transmissions. This shaft is our own brand. This is a must for high horse power units. The big end is bad about snapping off. This is the one found in the A O Dominator. Can be added to the Interceptor transmission as an upgrade. This shaft is made from 300M material and cryogenically hardened. (If you have nitrous you need this part.) Cost $159.00

Is $159 alot for this piece.

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

i'd get it if i were you. i had to get my junky old aode rebuilt last year and the shop wouldnt offer me any upgrades even though i was going to pay them. from what i hear the input shaft is one of, if not the worst part in these tranny's. i dont think that sounds like too unreasonable of a price. i didnt look to see your mods, but if you have or are planning to do alot too your car i would most definately get it. you might be sorry in the long run if you dont. some one correct me if i'm wrong. not a trans expert but i've been learning the hard way.hope this helps some

I had a performance racing tranny shop dude tell me that he has seen stock cars with a bad stock input shaft, and trannies in 500HP cars with perfectly fine ones. He said if youre opening the tranny to do other work, you should replace it. This shop was recommended by Art Carr (Rich) here is the list he gave me:

#22251 Super Rebuild Kit $299.00

This kit contains all the friction plates & steel plates needed to overhaul the transmission. Contains a complete bushing kit, bearing kit, filter, gaskets and seals. The common complaint with the AOD is premature failure of third gear. To cure this we upgrade the direct clutch pack with Raybestos Blue Plate Frictions & Mean Treated Steels.

#21364 Mechanical diode kit $229.00
This kit comes with everything necessary to convert over to the updated mechanical diode one way clutch. The factory one way clutch was prone to failure even in stock applications.

#22000 Hi-Tech Valve Body Kit $66.00

This kit is complete with everything you need to modify your transmission for firmer shifts.

#10501 Deep Aluminum Pan $169.00

Our pan will hold an additional 2 quarts of transmission fluid, also has a magnetic drain plug & cooling fins.

#22500 Direct Input Shaft $149.00

This shaft has become a problem when increasing the power. It has been known to break on a wide open 2-3 shift. Our shaft is made of superior 300M material.

The highlighted parts are the essentials for a rebuild. I have a valve body, cooler, and converter already. Chris said that you really dont have to have the deep tranny pan if you have a cooler.

Good luck
RC