Anyone Here Familar With Richmond Ring & Pinion?

92blustang

Founding Member
Jul 13, 2002
I am looking to buy a Richmond 3.90 ratio ring and pinion gear set. BUT, I keep reading that even with proper installation, the Richmond ring & pinions are known to whine quite noticeably in comparison to other gear sets. What I am trying to find out is an idea of just HOW LOUD this whine is.

Worth mentioning is that I ABSOLUTELY do not care about driving a loud vehicle whether it be exhaust or gear whine. Loud if fine with me. BUT, I am starting to get the impression that the whine is intolerable with Richmond ring and pinion sets. Does anyone have any input/opinions/feedback on them from personal experiences?

Now to nip it in the bud before it happens --- I am NOT INTERESTED in 3.73 or 4.10 gears. I am interested in a 3.90 Richmond gear ratio ONLY. I am NOT interested in Motive gears either. I have decided on Richmond 3.90 gears without exception.

So PLEASE keep this ON-TOPIC and chime in only if you HAVE EXPERIENCE driving in a Mustang having specifically Richmond 3.90 gears in it.

I ONLY wish to hear feedback on Richmond 3.90 gears. ONLY Richmond 3.90 gears.

Thank you!! :nice:

Edit, changed 3.89 to 3.90. (Thought richmond made 3.89 instead of 3.90). :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

Umm, it would be the rare 3.90 gearset. There is no 3.89 setup for 8.8's that I know of. I have ridden in cars with Richmond gearsets without any noise, and I have ridden in vehicles with Ford gears that whine. Same with Motive and Yukon.

It's all in the install. If everything is shimmed and installed correctly with the correct amount of backlash it should go off without a hitch and be as quiet as stock.

I've never heard anything positive regarding Richmond gears. They are garbage and you get what you pay for. As far as whine is concerned, it's all in the install.

Umm, it would be the rare 3.90 gearset. There is no 3.89 setup for 8.8's that I know of. I have ridden in cars with Richmond gearsets without any noise, and I have ridden in vehicles with Ford gears that whine. Same with Motive and Yukon.

It's all in the install. If everything is shimmed and installed correctly with the correct amount of backlash it should go off without a hitch and be as quiet as stock.

Yea I guess their ratio is 3.90 and not 3.89 like I thought I read somewhere. :shrug:

Yes perhaps installers were installing the richmond gears wrong and therefore the reasons for the whining. I think that there is a different install procedure for the Richmonds I think I read somewhere.

thanks for the reply.

I've never heard anything positive regarding Richmond gears. They are garbage and you get what you pay for. As far as whine is concerned, it's all in the install.

Hmm, thats odd because all that I hear is that Richmond's gears are made from STRONGER steel than FRPP and are much more a quality piece. :shrug: And they are MORE expensive than the FRPP. You do know that I am talking about Richmond gears right? Maybe you misread something cause you got just about everything all wrong in your reply. :shrug:

Also, I Dont know if its true but isnt Richmond gears used in Nascar? I'm not big into cars racing around in circles (yawn, BORING!!) so I'm not sure if thats accurate or not.

All in all, The ONLY negative I have ever read about Richmond gears is the whining issue while driving. Thats it! Otherwise, from what I am reading, they SPANK the Ford FRPP gears as far as strength and durability. Again I dont know the accuracy of this, but I have read it several times already in various discussions on the topic. :shrug:

Besides, I hear that FRPP gears are now made by the infamous Motive folks now. I cannot count how many times I heard about folks having BREAKAGE issues on their Motive brand gears. :notnice::notnice:

if Motive is now make FRPP's gears, YIKES, I want NO PART of FRPP gears!!!!!!! SHAME ON YOU FORD!!!!!!!!!

SO, thats basically why I am so interested in Richmond gears but curious about the claims of them whining excessively.

Thanks anyways for your reply.

Ugh. I don't know why you decided to make this thread. You're obviously set on Richmond gears so go with them. Instead of listening to the advice of others, it seems that you just want to defend Richmond.

As far as metal compositionis concerned, gears are all made in a similar fashion using the same materials. Richmond gears are not "stronger" than either of the FRPP or Motive counterparts. Regardless of strength, the most important aspect of gears is how they are cut and mate with their counterparts. Richmond gears are known to whine more times than not because they are cut sloppy, at least when it comes to Ford 8.8 rears.

Richmond gears are no "stronger" than any other manufacturer. As far as "breakage" is concerned, I call BS on "what you've heard". Besides, you will never make enough power to "break" your gears.

I agree, it seems your mind is made up already so I am not sure what you are looking for..

Richmond has been around a long time, and for years were one of the most popular gear sets out. I have done a few sets and I did have a set that seemed to make a little more nosie then others.

They are a 3:89 gear, they use a 39/9 combo, for reference a Motive 3:90 is 43/11. Most brands keep the pinion larger 10/11 teeth like Motive, Ford Racing, Strange etc on the 3:55, 3:73 and 4:10 sets

Personally when I need a 3:90 gear for a 8.8:1, I have been using the Motives or Pro-5.0 sets (made by Motive)

What are you set on Richmond?

Ugh. I don't know why you decided to make this thread. You're obviously set on Richmond gears so go with them. Instead of listening to the advice of others, it seems that you just want to defend Richmond.

As far as metal compositionis concerned, gears are all made in a similar fashion using the same materials. Richmond gears are not "stronger" than either of the FRPP or Motive counterparts. Regardless of strength, the most important aspect of gears is how they are cut and mate with their counterparts. Richmond gears are known to whine more times than not because they are cut sloppy, at least when it comes to Ford 8.8 rears.

Richmond gears are no "stronger" than any other manufacturer. As far as "breakage" is concerned, I call BS on "what you've heard". Besides, you will never make enough power to "break" your gears.

Umm, YES the OP even STATED quite clearly that his/her mind was ALREADY MADE UP and he/she was asking about the WHINE from folks having personal experiences with Richmond gears.

I think he/she made it CLEAR that he/she was only looking for PERSONAL EXPERIENCES with RICHMOND gears.

LOL, and you've never heard of breakage with a ring and pinion before? REALLY??

Umm, YES the OP even STATED quite clearly that his/her mind was ALREADY MADE UP and he/she was asking about the WHINE from folks having personal experiences with Richmond gears.

I think he/she made it CLEAR that he/she was only looking for PERSONAL EXPERIENCES with RICHMOND gears.

LOL, and you've never heard of breakage with a ring and pinion before? REALLY??

Don't be a sarcastic dip ****. My last post was in response to his comments regarding FRPP/Motive gears and their quality (especially when compared to Richmond). He obviously made this thread because he is already well aware of the issues with Richmonds gears and how horrible they are. He knows that the gears whine excessively, more so than any other manufacturer.......he just wants to know how badly they suck? Retarded thread.

The point of my last post addressed the OP's attitude towards FRPP/Motive products as being inferior while defending Richmond gears. That's like someone saying Ferrari cars are trash while they drive a Honda Civic.

As far as breakage is concerned, I never stated that I have haven't heard of RP breakage. You really need to do a better job at reading comprehension.