Anyone in Real Estate??? Or insurance??? Help me out!

MoNsTaMaCk24

Founding Member
Aug 12, 2002
Shippensburg, PA
Looking into getting into real estate or sell insurance. Tired of jobs that you basically work yourself to death. I am only 22 and trying to look into a job field that requires no college. I dont mind taking a class. Just 2+ years not for me. Id love to own a bowling alley but no one will give me that kind of money. So I figure maybe work 20 years and invest some money in the right places and who knows maybe will have a bowling alley. But what you guys think i should do? Real Estate, Insurance, or I am open to ideas... Let me know! Anyway to make quick money? Not selling drugs... Although where I live... thats where the money is!

• Sponsors (?)

My guess is if you want to work for either an insurance place or for a real estate company you will have to have at least a business degree. They are not likely to hire a 22 year old with no experience or education.

Go to college but thats jmo.

There is no quick way to make money, except for the lottery. You have to work your butt off for it. Anything that pays good money does for a good reason. Whether it be hard, long hours, being a stripper, etc.

Dont need a degree to sell insurance or real estate. Plenty of entry level jobs for both of them. I use to prep road machinery for Ingersoll Rand. Clean sand and all that before they get painted... 40-60+ hours a week. Walking on concrete all day. Sanding, steam cleaning, and everything else was just wearing on me. Especially since I have allergies. Just looking for something new now... Something I wouldnt mind doing for a career.

Real estate I know a little bit about, but I am by no means an expert. First you will need to have some type of job while you get started; no banker is going to lend money to somebody who doesnt have the collateral to back it up. It's also probably a good idea to start in an area where real estate isnt hideously expensive. In chester county PA where I'm currently living, its too expensive I think unless you are starting with a large sum of money.

Or, what you could look into that has to do with real estate but is a little slower is tax liens. I would do some reading, book stores are loaded with books about real estate investing. Basically, you pay the county the amount that a resident is past due on taxes, and you get a lien which you recieve interest on until the resident pays up. There are 2 types, I'm not sure which type PA is, but if the resident doesnt pay you're either first in line to collect when the property is sold, OR you get the deed to the property. There are alot of details to those I am not sure of, but those are the basics of it.

There are many ways to invest in real estate, you just need to figure out which is right for you, and make a plan for doing so. Are you going to hold the properties and rent for monthly income? Single family homes, condos, mobile homes, apartments? The fastest way to make money on real estate is to find a good deal, and put it back on the market after you buy it.

Another way is to write up a contract for a no money down deal. Basically you write something up stating that you get X amount of days/weeks to look over the property before the downpayment, and upon completion of inspection you make your downpayment. The idea however is to find a buyer BEFORE you make a downpayment, and basically sell the contract to another buyer. In other words, you make money for finding the deal.

Hope this helps, Good Luck.

MoNsTaMaCk24 said:
Looking into getting into real estate or sell insurance. Tired of jobs that you basically work yourself to death. I am only 22 and trying to look into a job field that requires no college. I dont mind taking a class. Just 2+ years not for me. Id love to own a bowling alley but no one will give me that kind of money. So I figure maybe work 20 years and invest some money in the right places and who knows maybe will have a bowling alley. But what you guys think i should do? Real Estate, Insurance, or I am open to ideas... Let me know! Anyway to make quick money? Not selling drugs... Although where I live... thats where the money is!
My wife is commercial insurance underwriter for one of the largest insurance companys in the world.I will show this to her when she gets home and have her respond with some helpfull info about insurance.

Real Estate sales is easy to get into but in the beginning you most likely won't make much money. You will have to bust ass and make you own leads and go door to door and generate business by handing out your cards etc...most office managers will give the hot leads to the veteran sales people so they don't jump to other companies. I used to sell Full Time for about a year and didn't really like it...i now sell part time to friends and family and pass off my leads to F/T agents and split the commisions.

You need to go get a job at a car dealership selling cars. Thats the number 1 paying job for non college educated people and it requires little to no money to get into just a few pairs of nice pants/shirts.
My first year selling I cracked 60k which is almost what i was making in my previous career after 8 years and a degree....My 2nd year i hit 90k and matched that again last year so their is money to be made in auto sales if you stick it out.

i am 22 yrs old. I work for a large insurance company. I started in life ins at age 18 spent a year doing that. Went to auto ins for a while and now im working for a big company doing life again. Let me tell you, for me its easy. I was the head agent for a pilot program that worked out very well. I work in a call ceter.

All i had to do is get my lic. Now keep in mind that it took me 3 years or so, to get where i am. I had to go to the auto dept and do customer service for about 1 and 1/2 years. Im making reptty good money now.

I do not have a degree and have only taken a few college class's.

Now i'm sure ppl will argure with me, and i will tell you. This is NOT the best job in the world. But its pays cool and its not hard by any means. But i have a feeling that i am an exception to the rule.

I have spent most of my working years in some sort of insurance enviroment, medical, life, auto and now back to life.

I'd say give that a shot. But i think you will make more $$$ in the real estate biz if you can get it started and deal with the ups and downs.

But underwriters make pretty damn good money.

Someone on here said his wife was one...i'm sure she didnt make it there overnight. But i think she prob brings home a nice check and doesnt have to work in the heat all day long

hope this helps :shrug:

If you want a job where you're not working yourself to death, I personally wouldn't go with real estate or insurance. I work in Finance/Insurance myself now and it's kind of a "make your own business" industry now a days for a lot of people, so you do end up working a lot of hours and doing a lot of sales.

I would really reconsider your decision not to go to college. I didnt start going to school until I was your age (I am 26 now) and I went into Nursing. I am so glad I went when I did because every year as responsibilities increase your ability to be able to do it will decrease. Cant give you any input on how to get into real estate, but I will say that there are some guys here in my area that are my age or less and are making easily twice what I make a year doing it. I would imgaine that it all depends on the market in your area though.