Anyone know of a correct looking 67-69 dual exhaust tip in 2.5"?????

Preferably in full stainless but beggars can't be choosers. I upgraded to a 2.5" exhaust like many modified cars have (I went with the full Magnaflow stainless unit) but I still want that stock looking dual 67-69 exhaust tip outback, preferably with a rolled lip and stainless as well. Has anyone got a lead on one or have them already? I hate the idea of running a reducer at the end and choking the whole thing thru a stock 1 3/4".

I have all but given up on my search and started a conversation with a guy that makes custom exhaust tips, obviously a one off is going to cost me quite a bit more than making a couple dozen so I am curious if anyone has come up with a solution yet or if they have the same issue as me and still looking? If there was enough interest out there I'm sure a group buy could be arranged and it would probably be way cheaper than the current new stock stainless tip is ($80pr I think???).

• Sponsors (?)

My coworker here had the same problem on his 69 Cougar. He had the exhaust shop cut the tip up high to get the larger opening and then run the exhaust pipe out a few inces longer to reach the tip. Welded in place. Looks good from the back and doesen't restrict the exhaust. He says you can't tell the tip has been cut unless you are looking for it.

My coworker here had the same problem on his 69 Cougar. He had the exhaust shop cut the tip up high to get the larger opening and then run the exhaust pipe out a few inces longer to reach the tip. Welded in place. Looks good from the back and doesen't restrict the exhaust. He says you can't tell the tip has been cut unless you are looking for it.

Someone else mentioned something simillar to me but I am having a hard time envisioning it. He had 2.5" pipes too? Stock was 1.75", that's a big jump and I can't imagine how it would be done withut a reducer.

I think JBA tips might interest you. Obviously a 95 GT catback system wont be the same as a 67-69 but the tips are the same style. My friend has JBA on his 69 Mach 1 and it looks really good, I'll be getting JBA for my 68 fastback when funds allow...

PA050141.jpg

That's an option I'll definitely keep in mind, I really do want to stay with a dual tip though if at all possible. The real problem is the correct tip is so specific and unique, most duals are actually a U shape instead of the Y shape and even then it has no gap between the pipes and is dimpled to clear the leaf spring shackles so the lack of a Y or dimples combined means it either has to stick way too far out or it constantly clangs against the leafs.

67-69tips.jpg

I am subscribing to this thread. Have this issue with my 68. I have a nice set of the stainless rolled tip brand new sitting on the shelf. Was hoping I could find a way to adapt them without a reducer, but can't see it. Interested in the custom made tips if we can get a group buy.
Posted via Mobile Device

Well just as an update to where I'm at on this project, the manufacturer I am talking to does not currently have a die small enough to roll the stock size outlets and it would cost $2500 to open one up. Obviously this would be way too much to amortize into the few dozen folks on various forums that I have gotten interest from and I am sure not prepared to pay for it up front. So the tip would have to be a cut end not rolled but it would still be the proper size to fit in the valance and indented to clear the leafs with a 2.5" inlet.

Hey Pak,
Did you ever get your exhaust tip issue resolved? I'm getting sick of looking at the 2.5" straight pipe out the back and am trying to figure out the best option. I am now thinking I will be forced to go with an oval design, similar to what was used on the 70 Stangs I believe, but would much rather go with the dual tip, even if it could not have the rolled edge. Barnstang also posted something here about a guy who fabbed something from the stock tips it sounds like, but pictures would be really helpful to see how he did it and what it looks like. Anyone got some suggestions before I buckle and do something different?

I thought Magnaflow made some of these ...

Look here: Magnaflow Tip Rolled Round Angle Cut Double Wall

They have several other styles that are similar on the same site. (Thats a stangnet site I beleive)

There are a lot of dual tip, even with rolled lip that fit 2 1/2" exhaust, however the problem is getting something to fit within the cutouts in the rear valance, which is about 4 1/2" wide if memory serves me. Most of the tips I have come across are 6"+ and would require cutting the valance. If my car weren't already painted, I wouldn't have a problem trimming to fit, but I don't want to get into repaint at this point.