anyone make a Carbon fiber hood for 1969 mustang?

• Sponsors (?)

simplyJ said:
looking for the stock type hood in carbon fiber. I vaguely remember a place selling one but I can't find the link and it didn't show up in a search. TIA

I was about to start making them but Im worried about the price of carbon fiber...it keeps going up and next year I heard they will not be makeing 2k twill :(

the only place I kknow of that makes carbon fiber stuff is deltabaymustang.com

65shlbycln said:
My father's business is entering the cf market. We were going to stick with bmws, but there may be large enough a market for classic mustangs too.
65-68 I'd agree, but the market, while growing, is still simply too small for 69-73...at least on CF parts. I mean those years are just now starting to see chrome trim and handles being made by the repro markets.

Edbert said:
65-68 I'd agree, but the market, while growing, is still simply too small for 69-73...at least on CF parts. I mean those years are just now starting to see chrome trim and handles being made by the repro markets.

i agree its a small market for a big company but it may be ok for an individual doing it as sidework for extra cash. I have talk to a couple of carbon fiber product manufacturers and one carbon fiber supplier and they said there will be a nasty shortage next year of 2k twill carbon fiber. This is what just about every car product manufacturer uses for cosmetic purposes. VIS is a HUGE producer of aftermarket carbon fiber hoods from everything from mustangs to hondas.. A couple of companies I have talked to said they wont be suprised if VIS and other large manfacturers go out of business due to the shortage. Prices will skyrocket for the remaining carbon and people like VIS who uses 100's of yards a day will not be able to produce... we will see what happens.

65shlbycln said:
My father's business is entering the cf market. We were going to stick with bmws, but there may be large enough a market for classic mustangs too.

I'm coming from the tuner scene (first audis and then 350z) so I love the look of carbon fiber when done right. I emailed delta bay mustang but they haven't gotten back to me. I'd really like to find a stock cf hood and a shelby convertible type decklid. My plan was to paint the car metallic grey and leave the hood partially CF (doing a reverse 69 mach 1 hood scheme - cf instead of flat black). If anyone decides to start making these hoods please let me know.

simplyJ said:
I'm coming from the tuner scene (first audis and then 350z) so I love the look of carbon fiber when done right. I emailed delta bay mustang but they haven't gotten back to me. I'd really like to find a stock cf hood and a shelby convertible type decklid. My plan was to paint the car metallic grey and leave the hood partially CF (doing a reverse 69 mach 1 hood scheme - cf instead of flat black). If anyone decides to start making these hoods please let me know.

teh biggest problem I ran into was the sheer costs of the materials right now. For 4 layers and a nomex honeycomb core, the costs of the hood would be close to $500 for just materials. Are you looking for a true carbon fiber hood or just carbon fiber top with a fiberglass bottom?

I really think the reason no on has started mass producing it is because much like a fiberglass hood, fitment it going to be a pain. After 30 years of people tweaking fenders and what not, the hood might not fit to well and you cant sand and add carbonfiber like you can fiberglass. I have a stock 69 hood (from 1969) to mold off of but Im afraid that if I used it, too many people will complain it doesnt fit right due to their car being just a bit different.